Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible I have a slowed metabolism? page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Is it possible I have a slowed metabolism?

Primal Fuel
    Heya

I was reading a blog and it mentions the symptoms of a low metabolism and I have them all as listed and I wonder if it can be measured, evaluated and fixed. Since loosing weight, I am down now 95 lbs, My hands are always cold, I pee all the time, I am always fatigued and headaches plague me daily.

Is there anything I can do to ramp it up? I walk as much as I can but after work I dont have the ooomph to work out further. I need me more power.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Are you drinking two mugs of beef bouillon per day? Perhaps you are low on salt?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    Heya

I was reading a blog and it mentions the symptoms of a low metabolism and I have them all as listed and I wonder if it can be measured, evaluated and fixed. Since loosing weight, I am down now 95 lbs, My hands are always cold, I pee all the time, I am always fatigued and headaches plague me daily.

Is there anything I can do to ramp it up? I walk as much as I can but after work I dont have the ooomph to work out further. I need me more power.
    It sounds to me like you need to eat more, the headache is a big sign. Try upping your calories by 2-300 for a week and see if you feel better. My guess is you will have more oomph, so you can work out harder and the extra won't cause a gain.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Heya

I might head to the doctor for this one. All of this is chronic? Meaning going on for more than 2 weeks? Type 2 diabetes has all those symptoms (plus many more you don't mention). You don't happen to take a statin drug, do you?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    You've lost a lot of weight which is great, but if that's through a chronic daily calorie deficit then of course that will have severely suppressed your metabolic rate.

Ensure that you consume a clear calorie surplus at least 2 days a week.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    No worries on salt, I get enough.

I am IF'ing 2x a week and I do eat 2500 ish calories a day with some definite over consumption going on. I was well on my way to T2D before I started this in April but all those symptoms are gone now. Blood sugar is fine and stable or at least it feels that way as compared to before, I have not actually measured it.

Yes this is chronic, it has been roughly 35 years I have felt this way along with all the SAD symptoms I have now gotten rid of.

One thing I have found is going PB, my appetite is much lower, I dont eat as much or as often, I dont snack as when I do, I cant stop nibbling ( I work for a company that sells nuts and dried fruit) so nibbling can be an all day every day issue if I let it happen.

could it be that I am simply not eating enough? I find that hard to believe but maybe? I do struggle with Veg consumption, I really really really hate most veggies so dont eat much more than I absolutely have to.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what to tell you, I seriously doubt you genuinely have a low metabolism if you've lost this much weight. I also have cold hands and feet (have had that my entire life) and pee all the time, I hardly think it's unique. I've had my TSH and testosterone tested before just to make sure it wasn't an endocrine issue and they were both normal. Maybe it's just the way you are. I DO notice that I'm generally cold more often now that I'm thin than when I was 200+ - I've taken to wearing a hat and gloves outside even if it's +10, but on the upside, I tolerate heat much better. It's not uncommon to experience that after weightloss.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    My hands are always cold, I pee all the time, I am always fatigued and headaches plague me daily.

Is there anything I can do to ramp it up?
    Maybe you're pregnant!

Eat some apples bro.
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    When I think of slow metabolism, I think of Prader-Willie Syndrome sufferers - now THEY have a truly slow metabolism: they will gain weight on ungodly small calories (I have known one). Since you were able to lose that much weight on your own, I honestly don't think that is it. But yeah, try eating more and see what happens.

For the cold hands and feet - have you tried standardized ginger capsules? I had them recommended to me by my kids' pediatrician because I had one daughter with painfully cold hands and feet, and they worked wonders!

My only other suggestion is trace minerals. I know I crave them. The Daughter of the Cold Feet gets these salt cravings, and trace mineral tablets stops that in its tracks, and she feels all over better to boot. The trace mineral deficiencies do crazy, crazy things and are very rarely discovered.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It is so easy to self-diagnose on the Internet. Through a few hours of browsing on Wikipedia, I can probably give myself a few dozen disorders, mental and physical. Get thee to a doctor and get your thyroid tested if you're so worried.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast