Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acidic feeling page

tailypoe3 is offline Member

Acidic feeling

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

Quick background: I transitioned from over a year of "Primal" eating to a very strict anti-candida version of the GAPs diet for about 7 months because I was still having digestive issues, adult acne, and this acidic feeling roughly in my upper esophagus/throat area (that I came to associate with eating fruit/high sugar foods). Basically all I was eating was meat, broths and ferments, veggies, some Kerrygold butter, coconut oil, and olive oil.

I became a bit underweight (5'5 110 pounds), started getting these heat related hives, felt fatigued, lost my period, my acne improved but did not go away completely, and that acidic sensation was gone (so some improvements, some negatives). Due to my weight loss and lost period, about 2 months ago I decided to eat more squash and then slowly transition to eating rice and potatoes. My acne really started flaring again and the acidic sensation returned, but I feel much better energetically. About a month ago I decided to stop eating FODMAPs with the occasional squash thinking that may be causing the acne (or SIBO) , and it seems that the squash potentially causes a large painful outbreak.

I am now eating roughly 50G starch a day with some lower carb days and one carb refeed day of about 150G white rice. I am fond of having a bit of coconut oil wit a lot of my starches...and I'm also beginning to wonder if it's the combination with the coconut oil that is causing this acidic feeling. Another strange thing is that the acidic feeling often occurs after just drinking water. I feel very acidic right now even though I have had no carbs but zucchini yet today, but I had 2T coconut oil with my meat and broth. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I know more experimenting is in order but I've tried so many different things I'm going nuts, I'm sick of my skin looking so shitty. =(
    Last edited by tailypoe3; 11-03-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I was just at the gym and started to get some reflux and all I'd had was some BP coffee, a handful of nuts and water. I think that often times the acidic feeling is because there is not enough acid to digest the fat you take in. Next time you feel it, try a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (preferably Braggs, it should have sediment floating around in the bottom) either straight, or diluted with a glass of water. That should clear you right up, and hopefully you will start to get used to the extra fat and be able to digest it more easily.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    What does feeling acidic entail? Could you be more specific as to where and how this effects your body?

Hmm interesting, I have been eating a lot of fat, and coconut oil for over a year now. I do incorporate Braggs ACV with a lot of my meals and recently bought some HCL, but have only taken it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    What does feeling acidic entail? Could you be more specific as to where and how this effects your body?
    It mostly affects my throat/upper chest area, sometimes face a bit. Its just a burning sensation. I dont know how else to explain it .

patski is offline Senior Member
    It affects your face?

I wonder if it's an allergic reaction to something you're eating.

I was going to say it sounds like gastritis, but mine sure doesn't affect my face...
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    It affects your face?

I wonder if it's an allergic reaction to something you're eating.

I was going to say it sounds like gastritis, but mine sure doesn't affect my face...
    Mostly no, its a general area and I think I feel a flush in the face more when I drink a lot of coffee. I don't know much about gastritis. I do still have some sort of food related issue because I have these strange kind of...under the skin looking pimples around my cheek bones and they sort of "flare up" every time I eat, but in the morning you can barely see them. I have no idea what to do I have eliminated so many things from my diet and I am sick of being so skinny.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Find yourself a good naturopathic doctor.

Hmmmm, I have those same 'pimples under the skin' on my cheekbones, but they don't flare up when I eat. I think it's gut related. Need to buy some probiotics. Are you taking any?

What are you eating for fat other than coconut oil?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

I feel like I've tried everything! And I can't really afford to go see a doctor outside of my insurance. I definitely agree that it's gut related I just don't know if it's an infection like H Pylori or just leaky gut that still hasnt healed or what

I've been eating fermented food, mostly homemade once in awhile raw store bought, everyday along with home made bone broth and even Great Lakes gelatin for the past 7 months. I have BioKult, but I don't take it every day, I very easily get bloated or really badly sick/nauseous if I take too much (like more than 1/4 or 1/3 of a capsule). I havn't stuck with the HCL either because I'm still experimenting to see if that or the ACV might be causing the burning...but I think I might try less coconut oil this week. I eat Kerrygold butter, no more than 1/2-1 tablespoon a day with coconut oil in my coffee in the morning and a good quality olive oil along with plenty of eggs and animal fat from salmon, buffalo, lamb, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Find yourself a good naturopathic doctor.

Hmmmm, I have those same 'pimples under the skin' on my cheekbones, but they don't flare up when I eat. I think it's gut related. Need to buy some probiotics. Are you taking any?

What are you eating for fat other than coconut oil?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On most days I eat 100G of fat or more. I tried GAPs like I said after Paleo didn't help, I've read Kris Kressers blog a lot about Acne, now I am more closely following Paul Jaminets Perfect Health Diet...same as GAPs really but with starches. Either my gut is just still trying to heal and 8 months hasn't been long enough or I'm missing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast