Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those 60+ and not Christian... page

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member

For those 60+ and not Christian...

Shop Now
    Do you at times feel empty? Despite having a wonderful marriage for so many years, if at all. Please share

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm 65 and there's not much wonderful about by marriage but no, I don't think I've ever felt empty if by that you mean lonely or unfulfilled. I'm by nature very happy and optimistic and always have a ton of fun and/or interesting projects in the works.

Not sure what being non-Christian has to do with it. My beliefs would probably be called pagan but all organized religion repels me and always has. I suppose the kind of person who needed to be around people/family/community might feel odd with that outlook but I prefer, make that crave solitude, have no family (thank God and the gods!) and while I like my little remote, rural community I rarely participate in any of the social happenings aside from the occasional funeral to show respect.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm not old enough or married. But I can tell you I was told once that if I didn't have children my life would be empty. It is not.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm not 60+, I'm 55. But I'm not Christian and I feel quite fulfilled--much more fulfilled than when I still followed a traditional religion. I felt more empty and confused when I still believed in "God".

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, I'm not old enough or married. But I can tell you I was told once that if I didn't have children my life would be empty. It is not.
    God, is that the most annoying thing or what? People often ask if I have grandchildren (wrongly assuming I had children) and when I say no the response is something like "Oh, how sad!" or "You don't know what you're missing!"

Like hell - I have only to visit any public place and endure the out-of-control shreiking brats from all corners to know what I'm missing. Thanks, but no thanks; I'll stay in the child-free camp.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Do you at times feel empty? Despite having a wonderful marriage for so many years, if at all. Please share
    I'm almost 56, so not quite 60 . However, I think everyone feels empty, lost, unfulfilled, at a quandary, at some point in their life. I also think that a "sense of emptiness/unfulfillness/questioning" is a call for self awareness, reflection, and growth. IMO, depending on marriage or any other person to "fill you up" is a recipe for disaster.

I also think those questioning feelings have nothing to do with whether you are Christian or not.I believe they have more to do with whether or not you are living a life that is meaningful and authentic for you.

The more important issue, as I see it is, why did you pose the question?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Did the OP ask anything about having children? Her question is about not being Christian, and referenced marriage, but didn't mention children.

No, it wasn't about children, specifically, although it makes me wonder about marriage. I was just wondering how people who have found living in religion find their life fulfilling. I have always been at odds with my religion, since I am a scientist by nature, but I also value creative thought and philosophy.

I feel that Christians are correlated with sheeple and not creative thinkers, and therefore are generally associated with negative things on this board. However, I feel that a combination of creative thought and religion could really be the best combination to a fulfilling life. I am thinking of when one hits 50 years old and is living with someone they thought was the love of their life, until they hit some sort of hardship, in which case the love slowly dwindled to a life partner (which I assume is the case for the large majority of relationships). How do you spend the next 30 years of life together?

However, since this really is a Paleo forum, I would understand that most people are not Christian. And some would even argue against only 1 partner in life. I am just curious of people's opinions.

And traditional philosophers prior to this century tended to be theists for a reason....I know that technology advances the cause of science and tangible things, but I think humans have a natural affinity to something deeper...thoughts?

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    And traditional philosophers prior to this century tended to be theists for a reason....I know that technology advances the cause of science and tangible things, but I think humans have a natural affinity to something deeper...thoughts?
    Agree (tho I betcha lots disagree with me) completely. I wouldn't want to live under a theocracy or anything close to it, but then again, I would be spiritually bereft if my life were purely secular. I have always explained to my kids that humans were hard-wired for spiritual pursuits, the particular choice of which will differ with the individual according to previous experience/personality/etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast