Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Fruits over vegetables?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Fruits over vegetables?

    I was thinking. Humans naturally gravitate to foods that taste good so why would we want to eat vegetables when they don't taste very good.

    I don't know about you but to me, fruits are way more satisfying than vegetables on their own, meaning no sauce, cooking or seasoning. 100% natural.

    It seems like the only reason why we think we should be eating vegetables is because we've all been raised to believe that vegetables are the best thing for you. More the merrier.

    So if we never had the information that vegetables are suppose to be good for us then why would we eat them? They don't taste very good raw. Fruits however taste really good. Papayas, melons, berries you name it. There's hardly a fruit out there that doesn't taste good.

    I'm not saying vegetables are bad for you or anything. I still eat them although I do feel like I'm doing it cause I think I have to in terms of good health. I just think they would be the bottom of my list in a totally natural world.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,688
    I don't think anyone will argue that fruits taste bad, on the contrary, but if I ate as many bananas and sweet fruits as I wanted daily, I'd blow up due to the sugar content. Also, fruits would be a seasonal thing. Grok wouldn't have had the ability to get fresh fruits unless he was fortunate enough to live in a climate and terrain that supports them 3-4 months a year.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

    "I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

  3. #3
    I guess if you did eat fruits pretty much non stop all day then there might be an issue. But how many bananas would one want to eat in one sitting? 2 or 3 maybe? I don't know. That's just me. Plus fruits digest pretty fast and easy.

    If you ate 2 bananas an hour and nothing else maybe your body could process that just fine especially if you're somewhat active? I don't know, I'm just talking out of my ass on that one.

    Humans were meant to live in a warm climate all year round though. But really what I'm mostly saying is that maybe vegetables are overrated and fruits rule over vegetables.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by mindo View Post
    I guess if you did eat fruits pretty much non stop all day then there might be an issue. But how many bananas would one want to eat in one sitting? 2 or 3 maybe?
    I am guessing you've never heard of the "30 Bananas a Day" faction? I was a raw vegan for some time, relied heavily on fruit, and it was not a good thing. Tons of sugar intake, and not good results for my teeth. Veggies are much much better overall.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Grok wouldn't have had the ability to get fresh fruits unless he was fortunate enough to live in a climate and terrain that supports them 3-4 months a year.
    Actually, since humans originated from equatorial regions, they likely had access to fresh fruit and tubers all year round, and I doubt anyone gave vegetables a second though. From my reading, it's been relatively recently that humans expanded to colder and colder climates where they were forced to start eating other things to adapt to harsher climates.

    Everyone is different with food, so there's no blanket answer, but my n=1 is that lots of vegetables = years of IBS hell and lots of fruits = happy and healthier. I personally feel best eating as much fruit as I want while limiting veggies to a minimum.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Birkenstocks & hairy arm pits.
    Posts
    9,063
    Another way to look at it is that veggies got us to eat them even though they are plain looking, while fruits had to dress themselves up and become sweet for us to go for them.

    Also, a lot of things we think are veggies are really fruit - avocado, tomato, and squash are three that come to mind. Oh, and cucumber.

    Definition of fruit: The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

    So some things that we think of as veggies because we prepare them in savory rather than sweet dishes are really fruits. IMO it's just about balance.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Another way to look at it is that veggies got us to eat them even though they are plain looking, while fruits had to dress themselves up and become sweet for us to go for them.

    Also, a lot of things we think are veggies are really fruit - avocado, tomato, and squash are three that come to mind. Oh, and cucumber.

    Definition of fruit: The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

    So some things that we think of as veggies because we prepare them in savory rather than sweet dishes are really fruits. IMO it's just about balance.
    Humans also ate their leather boots but only cause there was nothing else The reason why we think avocados, tomatoes and squash are vegetables is cause they don't taste that good hahaha.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    Vegetables wouldn't be very good as a survival food as they are not very calorically dense, but fruits are basically the perfect human food. But living in the modern world, vegetables are superfoods as they are great for helping you fill up for very few calories, they also are great sources of vitamins/minerals/antioxidants/bioflavanoids/polyphenols etc. They do taste great when cooked and seasoned too.

    Quote Originally Posted by prodistat View Post
    Fruit wasn't necessarily small and bitter. Here's Denise Minger's write up on the subject: Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS
    ^. I've tasted plenty of wild fruit and it's been as sweet or sweeter than store bought fruit. For all we know fruit could of been bigger and sweeter a hundred thousand years ago.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 11-04-2012 at 12:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    2,547
    keep in mind older fruits were often not as sweet as modern varieties. If you eat some of the old style apples they can be very tart.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    keep in mind older fruits were often not as sweet as modern varieties. If you eat some of the old style apples they can be very tart.
    Fruit wasn't necessarily small and bitter. Here's Denise Minger's write up on the subject: Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •