Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruits over vegetables? page

mindo is offline Member

Fruits over vegetables?

Primal Fuel
    I was thinking. Humans naturally gravitate to foods that taste good so why would we want to eat vegetables when they don't taste very good.

I don't know about you but to me, fruits are way more satisfying than vegetables on their own, meaning no sauce, cooking or seasoning. 100% natural.

It seems like the only reason why we think we should be eating vegetables is because we've all been raised to believe that vegetables are the best thing for you. More the merrier.

So if we never had the information that vegetables are suppose to be good for us then why would we eat them? They don't taste very good raw. Fruits however taste really good. Papayas, melons, berries you name it. There's hardly a fruit out there that doesn't taste good.

I'm not saying vegetables are bad for you or anything. I still eat them although I do feel like I'm doing it cause I think I have to in terms of good health. I just think they would be the bottom of my list in a totally natural world.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anyone will argue that fruits taste bad, on the contrary, but if I ate as many bananas and sweet fruits as I wanted daily, I'd blow up due to the sugar content. Also, fruits would be a seasonal thing. Grok wouldn't have had the ability to get fresh fruits unless he was fortunate enough to live in a climate and terrain that supports them 3-4 months a year.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

mindo is offline Member
    I guess if you did eat fruits pretty much non stop all day then there might be an issue. But how many bananas would one want to eat in one sitting? 2 or 3 maybe? I don't know. That's just me. Plus fruits digest pretty fast and easy.

If you ate 2 bananas an hour and nothing else maybe your body could process that just fine especially if you're somewhat active? I don't know, I'm just talking out of my ass on that one.

Humans were meant to live in a warm climate all year round though. But really what I'm mostly saying is that maybe vegetables are overrated and fruits rule over vegetables.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Another way to look at it is that veggies got us to eat them even though they are plain looking, while fruits had to dress themselves up and become sweet for us to go for them.

Also, a lot of things we think are veggies are really fruit - avocado, tomato, and squash are three that come to mind. Oh, and cucumber.

Definition of fruit: The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

So some things that we think of as veggies because we prepare them in savory rather than sweet dishes are really fruits. IMO it's just about balance.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Grok wouldn't have had the ability to get fresh fruits unless he was fortunate enough to live in a climate and terrain that supports them 3-4 months a year.
    Actually, since humans originated from equatorial regions, they likely had access to fresh fruit and tubers all year round, and I doubt anyone gave vegetables a second though. From my reading, it's been relatively recently that humans expanded to colder and colder climates where they were forced to start eating other things to adapt to harsher climates.

Everyone is different with food, so there's no blanket answer, but my n=1 is that lots of vegetables = years of IBS hell and lots of fruits = happy and healthier. I personally feel best eating as much fruit as I want while limiting veggies to a minimum.

mindo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Another way to look at it is that veggies got us to eat them even though they are plain looking, while fruits had to dress themselves up and become sweet for us to go for them.

Also, a lot of things we think are veggies are really fruit - avocado, tomato, and squash are three that come to mind. Oh, and cucumber.

Definition of fruit: The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.

So some things that we think of as veggies because we prepare them in savory rather than sweet dishes are really fruits. IMO it's just about balance.
    Humans also ate their leather boots but only cause there was nothing else The reason why we think avocados, tomatoes and squash are vegetables is cause they don't taste that good hahaha.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    keep in mind older fruits were often not as sweet as modern varieties. If you eat some of the old style apples they can be very tart.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    keep in mind older fruits were often not as sweet as modern varieties. If you eat some of the old style apples they can be very tart.
    Fruit wasn't necessarily small and bitter. Here's Denise Minger's write up on the subject: Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

mindo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I haven't researched this but it seems apples tend to only grow in colder climates not equatorial regions where humans originated from. I live in an apple region (British Columbia in Canada). Washington state is also another apple region. New Zealand too. Only reason I know this is because when apples are out of season here I notice the apples come from NZ. And apples suck compared to tropical fruits. I guess that's only my opinion though.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That is why I said some....having lived in the UK I had access to some of the old style apples and they were not as sweet.
    It might not be the case but I would assume like apples fruit crops from around the world have been selected for sweetness over time. Maybe not huge but I would be surprised if it was not there.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast