Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter outdoors and a few extra pounds... page

Shalimar is offline Member

Winter outdoors and a few extra pounds...

Shop Now
    I am in the process of losing weight, and am at a bmi of 124.6. (Oops, 24.6)I figure I would like to lose about 15 more pounds, eventually. The question is, should I do it this winter?

I love being outside. When the snow is on the ground I snowshoe or xc ski for hours. This winter, as I am more mobile since going Primal, I would like to spend more time outdoors. I may even start winter camping.

My gray tabby, Lilac (rest in peace) used to scarf down the food in fall and got a nice tummy by December. She was an avid outdoors-cat. In the spring she would lose weight and get down to bikini size by May.

Do you think the extra fat on me is a valuable asset in the winter? Or should I shed it and be able to ski even faster?
    Last edited by Shalimar; 11-03-2012 at 02:15 PM.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Shed it !!!!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't think having a few extra pounds in winter is a bad thing, it'll help insulate you against the cold. By the way, your weight is 124.6, not your BMI. At a BMI of 124.6, you'd be more than morbidly obese
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

otzi Guest
    The natural way of things is to get fat in summer, fattest in the fall. Lose weight all winter, leanest in the spring. Look at the moose, deer, bear, racoons, opossums, squirrels, etc... they all do this. It's the natural way and the way I like to live. I pig out on seasonal fruits all summer, then switch to more meat and fish based diet with very few summer fruits in winter. Winter is time for bacon, shellfish, liver, steaks, fish, mushrooms, nuts, and fat in general. Let the cold ramp your metabolism, but starve yourself of fructose, sucrose, and glucose...You'll get plenty of chances to eat that stuff next summer.

Your cat may have done it differently, but I'll bet the bobcat hunting mice by the woodpile got pretty skinny in winter!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how tall you are, but I noticed your age in your signature. If its not too presumptuous of me to say, I think for a woman of average height, your weight is perfectly fine at your age. It might look better on you than the very thin, gaunt look sone women get as they lose fat, and it shows around their faces. Also, skiing and outdoor activity is very active and requires a lot of energy, if you maintain an artificially low weight and your body is the type that is not naturally lean, you might find yourself tired and lacking the energy that will allow you to do what you enjoy. I hope I have not offended.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

At a BMI of 124.6, you'd be more than morbidly obese

Ha ha! Thanks, Damiana, I didn't notice that I added a 1!
    Last edited by Shalimar; 11-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12

Damiana, no offense taken. Although I am happy I have lost 28 pounds, and feel good about myself, I am still too thick in the waist to really feel healthy. The facial gauntness remains to be seen...haven't lost weight there yet, thank goodness. So whether now or later, the weight must leave. I wonder about energy too. During the last few winters I was successful at SWF(skiing while fat) but often wondered how much further and longer I could go without the extra baggage. I see it could work the other way around, say if I was underweight.

BeatlesFan, I will remember 'shed it' as a motto! I'd like to look good in spandex Nordic-wear, and fly down the trails.

Otzi, it is true the wild ones(and certainly frozen 5,000 year old humans) go through those fattening and starving phases. Perhaps the natural thing to do is to eat as usual and see if I naturally lose in the spring. We are still skiing in March and sometimes April after all. And there's always hiking, or the gym. I have more time in winter to exercise than in summer. I have little fructose and carbs in my diet right now.

I often prepare for the worst in my mind, and that lead me to thinking. If I was trapped say with a sprained ankle, in the snow for hours, would it help my survival to be fatter? I'd have to do more than be fat of course. When I go out into the woods I carry headlamp, cellphone, space blanket, extra socks and vest, food and means to make a fire.

Also, this should be an opportunity for me to increase muscle. As muscle weighs more, I will need to continue measuring and see how that changes.

I think I will use all three member's advice! I'll lose another five pounds by snowfall, with the help of Moar potatoes or Moar IF, then chill out, ski, and see what happens in the spring.

Thanks for helping me think this out!
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12

Another thought; I've seen my friend's cold tolerances change with age and weight. I run hotter now after menopause. A friend in her late forties is seeing the same thing.
    When you xc ski, you have to dress carefully, to avoid sweating, even on quite cold days, because you get heated up, soak the cotton tee if you are foolish enough to wear cotton, and then are at risk for hypothermia. It's one of the joys of xc skiing, that feeling of wonderful warmth as you are gliding through snowy woods. It's an incentive to stay moving at a consistent pace.
    Another friend, in her early sixties, who always ran warm, is now feeling cooler since she lost weight. She was a nice weight before, and is now a bit skinny. She has to wear a little bit extra when we going skiing.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't think of "engineering" my weight seasonally on purpose--just keep doing what is healthy. However, I did notice as fall and cooler weather came on, I felt I needed to pull back on the intensity of my workouts (plus work cut down on my walking time), and couldn't get enough of the butternut squash... so I put on a few pounds, but I think once the transition to winter happens, I'll be up for more intensity and the weight will likely come off. I really "feel" the transition to winter, and when I didn't take care of myself so well, would usually get sick this time of year. So I think if you feel you're depriving yourself, don't, but don't carb out just because you want to add a layer of fat!

Funny about the cat--ours definitely gets rounder in the winter, but I think it's the winter fur--so much thicker, and all over the floor come Spring!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to continue losing even in the winter. I actually find that I lose weight easier in the winter. For some reason I feel more motivated to exercise and have more energy in the winter months. Over the last several years I have had a pattern of gaining in the summer and then losing in the winter. I have a feeling that is probably backwards from most people, but point is, just continue doing what you're doing and if you continue losing in the winter, then awesome for you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast