Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter outdoors and a few extra pounds... page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Evolutionarily....gain weight when food is plentiful (summer-fall seems good). Shed it/use you reserves when food is less available (winter seems perfect).

otzi Guest
    You know one of the biggest problems with 'exercise more--lose weight' thinking is that exercising make you hungry! Same goes for being cold. You can definitely change that just by being aware of it.

I fell into that trap for years, as has half of the dieting/exercising public, but after several years of purposely not giving into hunger caused by cold and exercise, I'm finally at a weight I can live with.

Getting outside in winter in a cold place has exceptional health benefits! After a day in the cold, come home to a pot of bone broth or some smoked salmon--don't go for the ice cream or Bailey's!

Here's another weird tip: The palms of your hands (face and soles of your feet, too) contain a labyrinth of blood vessels called AVAs (arteriovenous anastomoses) that are exclusively used for temperature management. They don't supply nutrition to the skin, and they have highly variable blood flow, ranging from negligible in cold weather to as much as 60 percent of total cardiac output during hot weather or exercise.

AVAs can be pressed into use by exposing the face and hands to as cold as you can tolerate. I like to grab handfuls of snow as I walk in the woods. When the body senses cold, it automatically ramps up the metabolism via action known as uncoupling proteins (or UCP, specifically UCP-1). Now, this will not melt fat like the potato diet, but it all adds up to your overall well-being and metabolism. Can you tell I love the cold?

Shalimar is offline Member
    Otzi, I confess I have a piece of cake...almost every month! That's my only sweet, and the only sweet I want. I can over-eat primally just fine! Part of my journey is learning portion control, and I think I am getting it. I love smoked salmon, and we even have several what do you call them, salmon smoking companies, in the area. Also plenty of nice grass fed bones.

I frequently ski bare-handed because I get so hot. I will eat snow too, which feels deliciously cold going down. And when I really need to, I face-plant in a nice cold snow drift. Just for fun, everything I do is planned. Really.

The potato diet is totally awesome. I read the whole thread and use it when I want to lose a few pounds but can't afford to be grumpy at work.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

Shalimar is offline Member
    MarissaLinnea, you have found another one backwards like yourself! I do the same thing- gain in the summer, lose in the winter. It's because I work and travel for business so much in the summer. I am more sedentary also because I can't stand the heat. In the fall I begin to come alive again. I do not like temps above 75. And I have the entire winter off work, after Christmas. Thank you for your advice!

Tom B-D, I am not thinking of engineering. I am not disciplined enough for that! Plus in the fall, my activity level rises. There's wood to split, the garden to put to sleep, the compost heap to turn, hikes in the nice fresh autumn air. One thing I like about primal too is, never feeling hungry, unless I do IF. I can do that; it's simple. IF is the only time i ever deprive myself. I can do that for 24 hours! Also I can't remember the last time I was sick. I hope you stay nice and healthy this winter!
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12