Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else reaped the benefits of no showering as part of paleo? page

AMonkey is offline Senior Member

Has anyone else reaped the benefits of no showering as part of paleo?

Shop Now
    I only got into paleo and primal recently, but its really changed my life. I feel so much more energetic and excited day to day. I frequently find myself asking "What would Grok do?" to help me keep to the ancestral tenants. Grok wouldn't eat poison grains or put toxic chemicals on his skin. So recently I asked, would our ancestors wash every single day with copious amounts of water? The answer is no. Since we evolved over millions of years to not frequently wash, it only made sense for me to restrict showering to once a week, if not even less frequently.

I think its made a big difference. People have pheromones because we are animals and pheramones act like sex signals to the opposite sex. Not only do I have more time to enjoy myself in the morning since no shower, but I've also noticed I've been getting a lot more looks from women.

Is anyone else discovering the benefits of no shower?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Why no wash? What are You basing this on?
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Um, those looks you're getting may not be positive.

Crofter is offline Member
    Showering daily is a very recent thing. When I was a child (I'm 53) we bathed once a week on a sunday night and washed our face and hands each morning and evening (and when dirty obviously).
    I don't think I saw or used a shower until I was 12 yers old! I still only shower twice a week and no-one complains about the smell, and my wife would tell me, believe me!
    It has a lot to do with the need to get us to consume things. I still remember the TV ads in the 70's and 80's which advertised products to use for your "daily" shower, as if we should all know you need to shower daily.
    I have several female friends who swear that their hair is much better for being washed once a week in cold water.
    Bottom line, if you don't have an odour problem, wash when you feel the need.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I skip a shower every so often, but not days on end. One thing I have noticed, especially since cutting out that last "two slices of bread per week" thing that I was allowing myself, is that my armpits almost never smell anymore.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I think this would greatly depend on whether Grok lived close to a stream, river, pond, or ocean (highly likely). A daily dip with family would fall squarely in the 'play' and 'relaxation' categories.

Also, see this: Encyclopedia Virginia: Hygiene Among Early Virginia Indians, Personal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I shower on gym days. Nobody needs to smell my stale post-workout sweat the next day.

I take baths as a way to relax and get warm on winter days (plus it's nice quiet time to read a book and maybe listen to some good music), or I use our sauna and then rinse after because again, sweaty.

Normal body smell doesn't bother me, but stale sweat is not an attractive scent.

What you do for work is definitely going to affect it too. Someone who works in an office is likely going to need fewer showers than someone who works on a construction site.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    In general, I agree.

I have been a "wash when necessary" (and sometimes for the sheer emotional pleasure of it, like a romantic or calming bath) devotee for decades, ever since 18 (am now in my 40's), and I absolutely believe that reflexive daily showering (often with harsh chemical products) is harmful. I have raised my kids the same way so far, and we do. not. stink. Collectively, our noses are now very sensitive to stuff like the soap/laundry aisles at grocery stores, the perfume sections of drug stores, gawdawful places like Bath & Body Works or Yankee Candle and the like. In general, I think you are onto something - as a woman, I know that I get steamy fast when a good-smelling male crosses my path (and I don't mean a highly-perfumed male).

As for water itself being a culprit, I am not so sure - I think it is more our modern soaps/cleansers/stuff. Grok would have gotten wet in the rain a lot, not to mention dealing with rivers, shores of oceans, lakes, snow...

I think the balanced approach is not to restrict yourself to a time frame (like once per week or less), but just to do what you need to do when you need to do it, and with the gentlest (natural) product available that gets the job done.

I'm glad you are getting such a health and lifestyle boost from Primal/paleo - I am too!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I shower daily. I poop, I pee, I sometimes pee when I'm running or sneezing. Good hygiene is a plus for a person with orifices with smelly things coming out. Newsflash: those smelly things aren't pheromones.

I don't wash my hair as often, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've been chemical free for several months now. Haven't used soap in probably 6 months or more. Shampoo only once every few months, if I start getting dandruff. I use crystal stick deodorant, but I still rinse off with water in the shower. every day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast