Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else reaped the benefits of no showering as part of paleo? page 4

Jeannie_5 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I seriously doubt Grok DIDN'T clean his teeth on a fairly regular basis. The fossil dental record from the Upper Paleolithic shows that early modern humans had great teeth - mostly due to diet, but I'm sure hygiene was a factor as well, to get the gunk out and to keep the breath from being offensive. Especially in colder seasons or climates when groups of people spent lots of time in close, confined quarters with one another - I'm sure there was a conscious effort to stay as stank-free as possible, just as a common courtesy.
    ...I seriously doubt Grok had a MODERN toothbrush. I'm just saying let's not go over board...and to each his own. And, I'm seriously thinkin' that Grok was reakin' stinkin'. It was acceptable, and expected.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm unclear on paleolithic man, but many indigenous tribes have great teeth because their diet is naturally low in refined carbohydrates and processed foods. Cavity-causing oral bacteria love feeding on refined sugars and carbs.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Jeannie_5 is offline Member
    ...I don't know exactly how we turned the stink thread into the tooth thread...oh well...carry on then. And, the above comment makes sense to me.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I've reduced my overall amount of washing and found it beneficial. I wash my hands less, so they are not as dry. This is especially important for me during the winter! I don't wash my hands as much even when I'm handling raw meat, especially if I'm going to handle raw meat again right after (bag the meat, rinse my hands, seal the bags, bag more meat, don't wash until I'm completely done putting it all away in the freezer). I use cold water. I haven't been getting sick often (maybe twice this year) so I'm not really worried about it.

I use much less soap in the shower and that also helps with my dry skin. I just use a loofah to scrub down. I still soap sensitive areas, but don't use as much. I might try reducing the amount and going without for a while to see what happens. I can't go without showering (rinsing/scrubbing), I just don't like how it feels. I've tried going without shampoo, but the water is hard at my apartment, so it builds up in my hair and baking soda doesn't work well in hard water. I use sulphate/paraben-free shampoo about once a week and use a boar-bristle brush to help spread the sebum throughout the week. My hair smells a little musty by the end, but it's only noticeable if you're close/trying to smell it.

I use a crystal deodorant stone. It doesn't work for 24 hours, as advertised, but it's enough for an entire day for me. I get really stinky if I don't use it.

I plan on putting together a natural tooth powder/paste, but my boyfriend isn't Primal or interested in these things, so I'll still be buying a natural toothpaste for him.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie_5 View Post
    ...I'm pretty sure you have missed my point entirely sweetie. But, that's ooookaaay. The point is that we can be clean, and modernly primal at the same time. It's also okay to use toothpaste. Cave person's didn't have the life expectancy that we do now...how old were these person's at death whose teeth were examined??? I'm sure you know. It's also just fine to see a dentist on occasion. I'm sure the Neanderthals were extremely "courteous" as well...BELCH...FART...stink...lol. That's hilarious!
    I understand your point completely, and I don't disagree. I just wanted to point out that the idea of primitive man being nasty and rude is probably a misconception. Of course they couldn't live up to the hygiene standards we live by, but I think it's unfair to assume they lived in squalor.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    ...Then there is the "Rule of Thumb" Law, (that as I understand it, is also still on the books in Kentucky), that states that a husband may not beat his wife with a stick that is bigger around than his thumb. Believe it or not, this is where the term, or phrase, "rule of thumb" originates. Cave "persons" were not "civilized" as we, or most of us, are now.
    O...K... non sequitor much? What does a rule regarding wife-beating from a thoroughly agrarian, totalitarian and completely neolithic society have anything to do with how "cave persons" (another misnomer that I detest--actual cave-living was likely just as uncommon then as it is now) may have behaved. We have no way of knowing what typical gender relations looked like in paleolithic societies, nor any reason to assume there was some consistent, "typical" paleolithic behavior in that regard from tribe to tribe.

Also, just so you know, Wikipedia thinks the "wife-beating stick" story is just that--a story. Apparently no evidence exists for it.

LOL. I doubt if Grok brushed his teeth, etc., etc. The concept of Primal Living in the MODERN world to me would suggest that there would be many, many, modern ways of living that would be incorporated into the "Primal" lifestyle. Such as personal hygiene. And, many, many other modern ways of doing things that would allow us as Humans to live much, much longer than most "Cave persons". You don't have to stink, OR beat your wife into submission to live "primally" in the modern world. Let's not get carried away here. It's a great diet, and way of life, but, with the MODERN "comforts", and benefits as well. The best of both worlds...
    I still don't know what evidence you think you have that paleolithic people would have avoided bathing or cleaning their teeth, or that they would have been especially dirty or stinky as a default. It's not difficult (and in fact can be very enjoyable) to bathe in a stream or pond, or to pick your teeth with a sharpened twig, or clean them with one that's been chewed into a brush. A healthy person who bathes regularly in clean water might develop slight BO between cleanings, but that kind of smell doesn't come close to approaching the nasty, old-sweat, rotting-teeth, urine-and-shit reek of the city you experience from, say, many of the homeless. There's very little in non-urban settings that compares to the stink of a million other people's bodily wastes.

Paleolithic people also would have access to (and presumably knowledge of) natural scents and perfumes, as well as pleasant-smelling herbs like mint. Many of them might have smelled quite nice. You and I have no way of knowing either way.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Paleolithic people also would have access to (and presumably knowledge of) natural scents and perfumes, as well as pleasant-smelling herbs like mint. Many of them might have smelled quite nice.
    Yep, Mr. Grok shaved himself daily and put on some organic/natural aftershave and Mrs. Grok shaved her legs and used perfume. Seem reasonable...

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yep, Mr. Grok shaved himself daily and put on some organic/natural aftershave and Mrs. Grok shaved her legs and used perfume. Seem reasonable...
    What does shaving of body hair have to do with anything I was talking about?
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    ...I don't know exactly how we turned the stink thread into the tooth thread...oh well...carry on then. And, the above comment makes sense to me.
    You should know that we are masters of going off on tangents here.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

CelloIsLove is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ...I'm pretty sure you have missed my point entirely sweetie. But, that's ooookaaay. The point is that we can be clean, and modernly primal at the same time. It's also okay to use toothpaste. Cave person's didn't have the life expectancy that we do now...how old were these person's at death whose teeth were examined??? I'm sure you know. It's also just fine to see a dentist on occasion. I'm sure the Neanderthals were extremely "courteous" as well...BELCH...FART...stink...lol. That's hilarious!

You can't really assume anything on the manners or hygiene of Neanderthals, good or bad. People got the idea of being polite somewhere, and I don't really think that necessarily came with civilization, which has seemed to make people less and less civil. And their teeth were probably immaculate considering they ate no junk. Our teeth aren't designed to slowly rot away and stink to high heavens. Just like how most people notice their body odor subsides with better eating. Our ancestors probably didn't stink as bad as we imagine.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast