Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else reaped the benefits of no showering as part of paleo? page 3

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have to wonder if you (OP) live in a colder climate. Here in south Texas in Summer, we sweat before the sun comes up, just walking to our cars. I just went for a walk, and it is in the 80s, still humid from the rain yesterday and I sweated enough that i am considering taking a shower right now. In fact, there were kids in the apartment pool. I couldnt help but think that people indigenous to south Texas probably swam several times a day, given the opportunity...year round since we can get 80 degree weather in December and it is humid most of the time.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

wiltondeportes Guest
    You gotta shower. You don't necessarily need soap though. All you need is 5-10 minutes in an ice cold shower, and you will do your body wonders.

Your clothes, on the other hand, need soap.

Primal Jackson is offline Junior Member
    Showering is very therapeutic. I can get in touch with my body more as opposed to being dry-naked.

Cleaning the anus, and armpits is must, as these body parts constantly release toxins, and odors that stick to you.

@Crofter - when you were young, your body was tiny, and probably mostly clean. So less bathing back then makes sense. As a human grows older the body gets bigger, and bigger things need more maintenance.

Jeannie_5 is offline Member
    ...There is actually a Law that is STILL on the books in Kentucky, where I live...and, that is, that you MUST take a bath at least once a year...!!!... just wondering how bad someone would have to smell for others to feel the need to pass a Law on the matter. Pee yewww!!! And, paleeze use the soap.

,,,I like a bath or shower every day myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie_5 View Post
    ...There is actually a Law that is STILL on the books in Kentucky, where I live...and, that is, that you MUST take a bath at least once a year...!!!... just wondering how bad someone would have to smell for others to feel the need to pass a Law on the matter. Pee yewww!!! And, paleeze use the soap.
    ...Then there is the "Rule of Thumb" Law, (that as I understand it, is also still on the books in Kentucky), that states that a husband may not beat his wife with a stick that is bigger around than his thumb. Believe it or not, this is where the term, or phrase, "rule of thumb" originates. Cave "persons" were not "civilized" as we, or most of us, are now. LOL. I doubt if Grok brushed his teeth, etc., etc. The concept of Primal Living in the MODERN world to me would suggest that there would be many, many, modern ways of living that would be incorporated into the "Primal" lifestyle. Such as personal hygiene. And, many, many other modern ways of doing things that would allow us as Humans to live much, much longer than most "Cave persons". You don't have to stink, OR beat your wife into submission to live "primally" in the modern world. Let's not get carried away here. It's a great diet, and way of life, but, with the MODERN "comforts", and benefits as well. The best of both worlds...

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I don't shower every day, mostly because I have dry skin, but I wash the "smelly parts" everyday. I find that showering tends to wash away a lot of negativity along with dirt and I feel so much better afterwards. I see nothing wrong with showering as often as one wants.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeannie_5 View Post
    ...Then there is the "Rule of Thumb" Law, (that as I understand it, is also still on the books in Kentucky), that states that a husband may not beat his wife with a stick that is bigger around than his thumb. Believe it or not, this is where the term, or phrase, "rule of thumb" originates. Cave "persons" were not "civilized" as we, or most of us, are now. LOL. I doubt if Grok brushed his teeth, etc., etc. The concept of Primal Living in the MODERN world to me would suggest that there would be many, many, modern ways of living that would be incorporated into the "Primal" lifestyle. Such as personal hygiene. And, many, many other modern ways of doing things that would allow us as Humans to live much, much longer than most "Cave persons". You don't have to stink, OR beat your wife into submission to live "primally" in the modern world. Let's not get carried away here. It's a great diet, and way of life, but, with the MODERN "comforts", and benefits as well. The best of both worlds...
    I seriously doubt Grok DIDN'T clean his teeth on a fairly regular basis. The fossil dental record from the Upper Paleolithic shows that early modern humans had great teeth - mostly due to diet, but I'm sure hygiene was a factor as well, to get the gunk out and to keep the breath from being offensive. Especially in colder seasons or climates when groups of people spent lots of time in close, confined quarters with one another - I'm sure there was a conscious effort to stay as stank-free as possible, just as a common courtesy.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    My wife only showers about once a week. It's pretty hard to tell really.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I seriously doubt Grok DIDN'T clean his teeth on a fairly regular basis. The fossil dental record from the Upper Paleolithic shows that early modern humans had great teeth - mostly due to diet, but I'm sure hygiene was a factor as well, to get the gunk out and to keep the breath from being offensive. Especially in colder seasons or climates when groups of people spent lots of time in close, confined quarters with one another - I'm sure there was a conscious effort to stay as stank-free as possible, just as a common courtesy.
    ...I'm pretty sure you have missed my point entirely sweetie. But, that's ooookaaay. The point is that we can be clean, and modernly primal at the same time. It's also okay to use toothpaste. Cave person's didn't have the life expectancy that we do now...how old were these person's at death whose teeth were examined??? I'm sure you know. It's also just fine to see a dentist on occasion. I'm sure the Neanderthals were extremely "courteous" as well...BELCH...FART...stink...lol. That's hilarious!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast