Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand low bar squats page 2

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Think of it this way - you're not trying to hold the bar in your hands, you're trying to use your hands to help your back muscles support the bar. Use your hands to push forward on the bar rather than supporting it from underneath.

It does take some practice, but it's much better when you squat heavy. When you first unrack the bar, just stand with it for a second to make sure everything feels stable. If not, re-rack and adjust.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    The other thing I've learned about holding the bar is to keep my elbows forward more than I think I need too. Your elbow should be pointing down along you sides, NOT out behind you. Pushing your elbows back causes you to rotate your shoulders forward and hunch the top of your spine forward.

And as mentioned above changing where the bar is on your back changes the angle of the squat a bit working different combinations of muscles. High bar back squats allow you to keep your back more vertical and low bar back squats you have to let your gaze travel down a bit as you start the squat and allow your back to angle forward as you squat. But don't collapse!

Regarding elbow position - Rippetoe emphasizes keeping the elbows behind the bar. Maybe that's just more of a cue? Like, if your elbows are habitually too far forward, thinking "behind the bar" when you get into position actually puts them in the right place.

If your elbows are along your sides, you're supporting the weight in your hands instead of your back. This becomes problematic at 1.5x bodyweight. Also, if you keep your elbows by your sides, how do you keep your wrists straight?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    The other thing I've learned about holding the bar is to keep my elbows forward more than I think I need too. Your elbow should be pointing down along you sides, NOT out behind you.
    wait, no.

boomingno is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    Regarding elbow position - Rippetoe emphasizes keeping the elbows behind the bar. Maybe that's just more of a cue? Like, if your elbows are habitually too far forward, thinking "behind the bar" when you get into position actually puts them in the right place.

If your elbows are along your sides, you're supporting the weight in your hands instead of your back. This becomes problematic at 1.5x bodyweight. Also, if you keep your elbows by your sides, how do you keep your wrists straight?
    This. Your arms and hands should basically be trapping the bar against your shoulder blades.

Starting Strength: Video

Check that out, explains it better than I ever could.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    How is hand support not important? Then the only way to make the bar not roll from your back is keeping your back 100% horizontal
    well then

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    How is hand support not important? Then the only way to make the bar not roll from your back is keeping your back 100% horizontal
    No. In the correct position, you're just holding the bar against your back. Your back muscles form a kind of shelf for the bar if you're doing it right. Everything should stay nice and tight. Read Starting Strength (or at least check out the website and wiki) for an exhaustive explanation. Although I believe I saw that you had posted in the SS forum (or at least somebody called Gadsie) - why not post a vid there for Rip?

Quote Originally Posted by Miscellangela View Post
    No. In the correct position, you're just holding the bar against your back. Your back muscles form a kind of shelf for the bar if you're doing it right. Everything should stay nice and tight. Read Starting Strength (or at least check out the website and wiki) for an exhaustive explanation. Although I believe I saw that you had posted in the SS forum (or at least somebody called Gadsie) - why not post a vid there for Rip?
    That's a good idea, I will.

But thanks everybody. I just finished some low bar squats. Elbows straight back. I also forgot to mention that I was using a sissy pad (as Mehdi calls it). I thought this was no big deal but I did it without today and my form was a lot better
    well then

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    The other thing I've learned about holding the bar is to keep my elbows forward more than I think I need too. Your elbow should be pointing down along you sides, NOT out behind you.
    This is what's so wrong with Internet forums. People so 100% positive in their statements when they are so incorrect. So then the op follows this advice and gets screwed over.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    This is what's so wrong with Internet forums. People so 100% positive in their statements when they are so incorrect. So then the op follows this advice and gets screwed over.
    Well I do what makes sense to me and if something does not work I'm not going to continue doing it
    well then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast