Thread: saturated fat intake page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

saturated fat intake

We live in south India and harvest our own coconuts, so coconut oil, coconut meat, coconut milk is in all our dishes. I've recently discovered tallow and fatty cuts of meat, and have been consuming those more liberally. Been feeling good these days, tons of energy...

My dh is fine with coconut oil (he grew up on it) but is not so convinced that animal fats are ideal. Here people talk constantly about animal fats and meats raising cholesterol.

Can I eat as much saturated fat from animals as I like (assume grass-fed/pastured animals)? We don't have weight problems, just interested in maintaining health. I've read Mark's guides on fats and cholesterol. But I am wondering if there's a limit on intake or anything like that.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    as long as you are not consuming grains, eat as much animal fats as you like.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Can you explain more?

We do consume grains, mostly in the form of fermented rice products. I don't eat very much, maybe the equivalent to one pancake serving a day, but my husband eats quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post

Also, why do you say specifically animal fats? So it's more okay to eat grains with coconut oil?

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    Last edited by girlhk; 11-02-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    As far as cholesterol goes; less than 10% of our cholesterol is absorbed from food. Cholesterol in food is nothing.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Dietary cholesterol from natural sources are not the cause of atherosclerosis. It's a huge health scare but there has never been a decisive scientific study linking a diet high in fat with heart disease or cholesterol.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

What about the major differences between coconut oil and animal fat? When I was transitioning away from a vegetarian diet, I used more coconut oil and some ghee. But the difference in how I felt was nothing like when I started eating animal fat liberally. I felt like a new person, steady energy levels, even my craving for caffeine went away. I'm wondering why this is.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by girlhk View Post
    What about the major differences between coconut oil and animal fat? When I was transitioning away from a vegetarian diet, I used more coconut oil and some ghee. But the difference in how I felt was nothing like when I started eating animal fat liberally. I felt like a new person, steady energy levels, even my craving for caffeine went away. I'm wondering why this is.
    It's because fats keep your blood sugars steady unlike sugars.