Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grass fed beef. How to get it to taste good. page 3

MissLindsay is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am certainly no steak expert, but from what I understand, most steaks from good restaurants are well-aged, whereas typically steaks from the market (and surely CSAs) are not at all aged. I saw one of the gals on food network cake a mixture of salt, sugar, and spices onto steaks and say to leave them in the fridge for around three days to leach out a lot of the water-similar to the aging process- which makes for a better texture and flavor. Otherwise, just salt & pepper 'em up good! Maybe more than you would think, since unlike a burger, you cant season the inside and what's on the surface has to make up for the lack of seasoning in the lovely rare middle

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if a "fishy smell" would be due to the much higher O3 content in the grassfed?
    But bland, no way! Get a thick ribeye or NY strip, put plenty of salt (I use coarse sea salt) and some pepper, then throw it on the grill for about 3-4 min per side, rotate halfway on each side for those cross-crossed grill marks. I get my beef from WF and have not found it bland.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've never noticed a fishy smell but I have noticed sometimes it tastes musty or strange. It's possible if it was bland it wasn't aged very long. It's also possible for grass-fed beef to taste different depending on the grass they eat. That's one reason they finish them up on corn. For that uniformity.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    That's one reason they finish them up on corn. For that uniformity.
    Now that I think of it, the Whole Foods' Butcher said something to this effect. My fingers are crossed for tonight. I just read a horrid article on methyl mercury levels in fish. Big wild salmon fan, which is not high on the list although all of the other fish that I like are on it. Chicken is kinda give or take for me so really hoping this CSA beef is good.

Now bacon? Oh, bacon is its own food group. I would marry bacon if it would have me.
    One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I always use PLENTY of salt on my steak with some coarse peppercorn cooked up Pittsburgh rare AKA black and blue. Thats all usually unless I'm just feeling frisky. Then anything in my spice and herb rack is open to use. But, I buy my cows 1/2 at a time and consistently from the same guy for the past 3 years or so....now any other beef just tastes off. Even if it's a high end place I'm usually sitting there thinking...."I coulda done a better rib-eye at home".
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I was never able to tell the difference between grass fed and regular ground beef.

But if you want alittle different taste, coat the pan with a generous dollop of coconut oil. Smush in a truckload of salt and Italian seasoning. After you take it out of the oven, let is sit for 10 minutes and the fat which came out will soak back in. I really like the taste, but that's no guarantee you will.

For what it's worth, I tried filet mignon once to see if I liked the taste of raw meat. I didn't... it tasted, I dunno, too cold or veggie-like.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I tried filet mignon once to see if I liked the taste of raw meat. I didn't... it tasted, I dunno, too cold or veggie-like.
    I usually eat a couple pieces raw as I prepare it. I gotta say it tastes sooooo "clean", if that would be the right word. I always let mine come to room temp before cooking anyhow (and so should you!). I don't just sit and eat a whole raw steak mainly cause I don't want to completely cross over . But really its not so strange. I eat sushi a couple times a week. Why should quality beef be any different?

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Just had dinner. Drum roll...

Fantastic!!! The steak was delish, cooked black and blue in an iron skillet with Kerrygold butter. BAS was yum too. Am sated, I tell ya. Happy happy.

One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
    Oscar Wilde

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

Quote Originally Posted by Grokalicious View Post
    Just had dinner. Drum roll...

Fantastic!!! The steak was delish, cooked black and blue in an iron skillet with Kerrygold butter. BAS was yum too. Am sated, I tell ya. Happy happy.

Good to hear!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Wow I cannot believe that you are experiencing such different tastes. Over here in New Zealand it isn't common practice to finish cattle on grain, however if feed is running low during the winter months they might get lucern hay, silage and/or a brasicca crop like rape. We certainly have feed lots in NZ, but I wouldn't say its the norm.
    Most cattle are grown to a minimum of 450kg, which equates to around 270kg on the hook - so generally a more tender age. (most cattle kill out to about a 55 % yield)
    However there are good farmers and there are not so good farmers. One thing that we always practised on our farm, was keeping the stress levels of the animal to a minimum.
    Stressed animals do not taste very good. I have also heard that some farmers hang their cattle until it is nearly walking off the hook, before they process it.
    I wonder if the different tastes are due to stress and older animals ?
    I love rump steak, fried on a really hot cast iron skillet, couple of minutes each side, blue ...blue....blue !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast