Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grass fed beef. How to get it to taste good. page 2

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokalicious View Post
    Haha. No lie there. Love it super rare. That sounds great (love butter on anything). Dinner tomorrow!

That's actually what I'm having tomorrow too. I'll throw sweet potatoes in foil and grill those too, then add butter and cinnamon. I also like a little horseradish on the side with my steaks.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Seasoning steaks well helps with flavor, though I agree with others who have said grass-beef tastes better. My favorite ground beef recipe is to cook diced onion and garlic in beef tallow /marrow, then add ground grass-fed beef and brown it. Salt and pepper well, add a cup or two of bone broth and boil down. Add heavy cream and adjust seasonings. Pour over mashed cauliflower or potatoes. I like it over anything really -sautéed greens or other veggies too.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    pour in some lowry's (experiment to get it to your liking)....
    I'd steer clear of the Lawry's. Sugar, Cornstarch, "natural flavors" and something to promote freshness and deter clumps (can't remember exactly what off the top of my head...)

go BUCK wild with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic, seasonings... it may take some getting used to, but once you do.... wow... mmm... I need to go eat a steak now.

system60 is offline Junior Member

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    The thing about grassfed beef that got me and others was that it smells like fish. You start frying up some grassfed beef and usually it smells like you are having fish for dinner. I think perhaps its an acquired taste/deprogramming from what we have learned to expect from beef. But bland? Never gotten that comment before.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I've only tried it once, but the taste was kind of weird. Not like game meat, but very different. I'd love to eat it more if I could afford it.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Grokalicious is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    The thing about grassfed beef that got me and others was that it smells like fish. You start frying up some grassfed beef and usually it smells like you are having fish for dinner. I think perhaps its an acquired taste/deprogramming from what we have learned to expect from beef. But bland? Never gotten that comment before.
    I think it's just because all I've had is grass fed steaks from Whole Foods and the blandness may be due to the fact that I am somewhat domestically challenged.

I couldn't afford to buy a side of GF beef but now that the local CSA is offering GF meat I might as well give it a go.
    If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces,
    never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again.

Flavia Weedn, Flavia and the Dream Maker

Memento vivere!!!
    Grokalicious

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I cannot really relate as I think GF is 100 times yummier than normal steak (here in Belgium the 'normal' steak you get in shops is good only for mince). But may be try choosing a different cut? I would look for fattier steak, if possible. It would may be mean not fillet steak but sirloin or ribeye (not sure how these are called in the US).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think the cut can help- I like sirloin and rib eye. Salt, pepper and season... grill to medium rare. Happy Maggie.

However, my dear brother got me some Wagyu filets and holy cats, that was an amazing piece of food. It had streaks offat all through it. It spoiled me.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by specsAreGrok View Post
    I have the same issue. My husband says he cant smell it, but it makes me wary of eating it. Glad I'm not alone.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast