Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting... size vs strength? page 7

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I don't feel comfortable giving advice for lifts like squats to someone new to weight training.

Your progress (how you respond to training) is going to be largely determined by your genetics T NATION | The Truth About Bodybuilding Genetics. Some people gain size without a corresponding increase in strength. Others might gain a lot of strength without a corresponding increase in size. You have to experiment with sets/reps and duration and gauge your progress. Keep a log of weights used and reps. Different body parts might respond to different number of reps. For example, my legs respond to a 20 rep range while my upper body responds to 10-12 rep range.
    I'm not new to weight training. I know how to do the compound lifts properly. That's interesting info about genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    Good thread.

I am also starting to do the 5x5 Stronglifts protocol but I am struggling to get the time to train on the weights more than once a week.

Would anyone think there would be a problem with doing it once a week and training all 5 exercises in one session and I am doing squash and sports specific training on top and dont want to burn out.

I dont mind that the gains will be slower, I am in it for the long haul.

Any thoughts?
    I can't answer your question but dont' you have T1? i think maybe I have read some threads you have commented on where you said you did. If not than I'm just confused The reason I ask is bc I have T1 diabetes.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Some women, like some men, can become quite big through lifting weights (generally easier for men though). Other women (probably most) don't get that big, but there will always be a variation.

Men are the same, although in general get bigger easier. You'll see skinny guys who find it hard to bulk up, and other guys who bulk up easily.

My sister was told by someone at her gym the other day that she should do more reps with a lighter weight to "build lean muscle" I had to laugh at that, but I guess her point was that fewer reps at a higher rate are more likely to build bulk??! I'm not sure either way, to be honest, as a lot of it is genetic anyhow...

Personally I do CrossFit so it's all mixed up! I don't really worry about lifting light vs heavy or whatever, I just do what I can for the number of lifts or reps I have to do for the day's WOD!

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I can't answer your question but dont' you have T1? i think maybe I have read some threads you have commented on where you said you did. If not than I'm just confused The reason I ask is bc I have T1 diabetes.
    No I don't think so. At least I hope I don't have it.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC29 View Post
    No I don't think so. At least I hope I don't have it.
    No, I'm sure you don't! lol I thought had read some posts from an Adam that refered to being T1.... my bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post

My sister was told by someone at her gym the other day that she should do more reps with a lighter weight to "build lean muscle" I had to laugh at that, but I guess her point was that fewer reps at a higher rate are more likely to build bulk??! I'm not sure either way, to be honest, as a lot of it is genetic anyhow...

Personally I do CrossFit so it's all mixed up! I don't really worry about lifting light vs heavy or whatever, I just do what I can for the number of lifts or reps I have to do for the day's WOD!
    Genetics makes a lot of sense. I get told the same thing about more reps with lighter weights but it sounds like a myth to me

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Some women, like some men, can become quite big through lifting weights (generally easier for men though). Other women (probably most) don't get that big, but there will always be a variation.

Men are the same, although in general get bigger easier. You'll see skinny guys who find it hard to bulk up, and other guys who bulk up easily.

There's no such thing as "lean muscle". Your muscle grows the way it grows. The lean look is usually a low body fat %

Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    There's no such thing as "lean muscle". Your muscle grows the way it grows. The lean look is usually a low body fat %
    I heard the Slow Burn guy say something similar to this on a video.

My thinking is... that if I build muscle and don't lose fat (meaning I over eat) then I'll probably stay the same size or out grow my clothes lol But right now I want to focus on getting stronger. I'm not that concerned about getting big because I've gotten stronger since last year, weigh more and still fit nicely in my skinny jeans

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by levi77 View Post
    If the female then not for the heavy weight for the gym because female is fit for the looking good then not to good for the heavy weight but if the men are there then its good for heavy weight and size develop when heavy weight are produce but the food is also very important role.
    Are you an idiot? Not only is that statement completely wrong, it also happens to be sexist. My sister is stronger than just about every guy her age and my mother was stronger than me until I started working out seriously. It should be noted that I've never been particularly weak so that is more a comment on her strength than my former lack thereof.
    Also, I feel compelled to say that I've never met a man who could outsmart me (except for one occasion where I was half asleep and said something about the amazons living in the amazon jungle, but that's more of a correction anyway) regularly but I've met a few women who could. Not that they could do it regularly...
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That post sounds like it was written in Chinese and run through an online translator a few times. I ignore all posts like that because most of the time they're written by spammers and blasted over the web to all forums at random having any kind of weight loss/fitness aspect to them.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast