Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting... size vs strength? page 5

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    The only thing close to a squat rack we have is a smith machine. From what I've read on this forum that's not a good thing to use... or am I mistaken?
    Find a new gym.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Sounds like an odd gym. You're right, you don't want to use a Smith Machine. Can you get someone to help you and perhaps use the set up for the bench press and walk forward?
    The only set up for a bench press is the bench itself and I set it on an incline and use 2 dumbells. The other thing they have for a bench press is where you load the weight plates but it's all one machine. I guess it it a weird gym!

I need a workout partner! Anybody wanna come to TN and workout?! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Find a new gym.
    I might have to.
    We asked for new treadmills and we got them. I'm going to ask for a squat rack.

It's a crappy gym, really find a new one. One that actually the the most basic strength tools known to man; bench press, squat rack, weights.

Also using dumbells is going to be really hard for women to get stronger with, since they only go up in 5 lbs increments which means when you want to add more weight you can only go up 10 lbs at a time.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

It's a crappy gym, really find a new one. One that actually the the most basic strength tools known to man; bench press, squat rack, weights.

Also using dumbells is going to be really hard for women to get stronger with, since they only go up in 5 lbs increments which means when you want to add more weight you can only go up 10 lbs at a time.
    I'll have to deal for a while until the new gym opens up but thanks for the advice.

Why is it different with dumbells in increasing weight? The barbells go up in 10lb increments too, or are you talking about adding weight with weight plates?

nojoke is offline Member
    If your looking for a really good and simple structured strength program I really like the Wendler 5/3/1 Program. It easy, its effective. I have gotten gains from this program after adapting it close to 1 year ago that I didn't think was previously possible.

Good read....

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I'll have to deal for a while until the new gym opens up but thanks for the advice.

Why is it different with dumbells in increasing weight? The barbells go up in 10lb increments too, or are you talking about adding weight with weight plates?
    Barbells with weight plates, anything else is just uncivilized. My gym has them down to 1lbs increments.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Barbells with weight plates, anything else is just uncivilized. My gym has them down to 1lbs increments.
    So Wanderlust... in the meantime until I have access to barbells with weight plates and a squat rack, is there any benefit for me to use the regular weighted barbells instead of the dumbells I've been using for bench presses? I have to use dumbells for the single leg deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    If your looking for a really good and simple structured strength program I really like the Wendler 5/3/1 Program. It easy, its effective. I have gotten gains from this program after adapting it close to 1 year ago that I didn't think was previously possible.

Good read....

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength
    Thanks! I read through it.

The main thing with a program is it can be kind of technical... I ususally just go in the gym and do what I can. Sometimes that varies from doing 3 to 5 sets, sometimes I can push out more reps than others too. For the most part, I push myself until I can't do any reps or sets with good form.

I'm just going to have to decide what program I want to do and stick with it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    531 is quite straightforward, SS and Stronglifts even more so. If you find those programs too technical, I'm not sure what to tell you.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast