Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight lifting... size vs strength? page 2

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    simple terms; 1-3 reps is power, 3-6 reps is strength, 6 and up is endurance.
    This.

In practical real terms for a genuine woman (me):

Lower reps/heavier weight = strength building, better muscle tone, less fat, soreness seems easier to manage
    Higher reps/lower weight = no strength, no muscle tone at all, still fat, debilitating soreness on occasion
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=The only thing that stuck out was that you are doing leg presses- is there some reason you are adding this on top of your squats? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious what you feel you are gaining from them.[/QUOTE]

Only because I like to lift for 40-45 minutes and I use it as a time filler. lol I guess maybe I don't need to be so worried about the amount of time spent lifting as long as I get in the all the compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    And after your warm up sets you should always go to failure.
    Warm up sets? huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    To the OP - there is actually probably a greater correlation between higher rep work (10-12) and increasing muscle size than there is at lower reps. Unless you're over-eating though you are not going to add much in terms of size.
    Thanks! That's so funny though bc all the bro science I hear in the gym and have read in says that heavier weights with lower reps build bigger muscles and lighter weight with higher reps "tone".... so dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This.

In practical real terms for a genuine woman (me):

Lower reps/heavier weight = strength building, better muscle tone, less fat, soreness seems easier to manage
    Higher reps/lower weight = no strength, no muscle tone at all, still fat, debilitating soreness on occasion
    It's nice to have input from a feamle with experience in this area. Do you do the same number of reps with the same weight for all your sets? I wonder what the benefit is from doing reverse pyramid? That's what I normally do.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Unless your on a program like SS?
    My fault for non saying that correctly...when I say it, in my mind I have completed all 5 reps and the next one would have been a failure just like it says much more eloquently in SS.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't have much experience with the heavy weights. I spent 10 months doing a core fitness class. While it was great for improving my sense of balance and beginning to get some core strength, I probably should have quit after 4 months or so and moved on to the heavier stuff. All that work, all that incredible soreness where I was having to brace myself on the sink to go to the toilet, and I never got any thinner or hardly any stronger.

For the heavier stuff I generally do 3 sets of 6, 8 or 10. I'm brand new but already I feel stronger, have a nicer tone to my knees and legs and I can feel that my arms, lets and abs are firmer and there are more bumps showing through the fat.

I'm a fairly chunky woman and always will be. It's probably not possible for me to attain that sleek look or that thin look with lots of muscles that some women get. I will be content with being strong at my current size.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    If your looking for bigger muscles I know fitness comp people go low weight high reps. Like, 50 reps of 20lbs kinda thing. It totally rips the muscles and rebuilds them bigger. Not stronger though

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    My fault for non saying that correctly...when I say it, in my mind I have completed all 5 reps and the next one would have been a failure just like it says much more eloquently in SS.
    How many sets of 5 reps before you do the set to failure? And do you lower the weight on the set to failure?

Sorry... so many questions! Believe it or not I've been weight training for years but only increasing the amount I lift more seriously for the last 7 or 8 months. I finally wasn't worried about getting "bulky"!

If your looking for bigger muscles I know fitness comp people go low weight high reps. Like, 50 reps of 20lbs kinda thing. It totally rips the muscles and rebuilds them bigger. Not stronger though
    Not really looking to get bigger but i have done quite a bit of high rep stuff in the 30 rep range. I've had a mix of high and low rep lifting, that's why I started this thread because I wanted some clarification on what the results of both types of trainging are.

I think it's funny how in the magazines and in the gym they say for women to use lower weight with higher reps to "tone"
    (meaning long, lean muscles) when apparently it does the opposite. But mostly likely the women that are worried about getting big aren't pushing them selves even with the lighter weights, higher reps.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast