Thread: Diabetic page

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Diabetic

Primal Fuel
    So I have a friend at work in her mid-20s who is a diabetic. I used to cringe at all the processed carbs she would eat but did not say anything. As her condition worsened in the last month or so, she approached me, the resident office health nut, about nutrition. I told her about the PB and to my complete and utter shock she was receptive! Her mom is on board with her too. She dropped processed food, seemingly developed an overnight physical aversion to junk food, signed up on Fitday, is eating lots of fruits, veggies, fatty meats, nuts and is exercising. On our lunch breaks she even asked me to go with her to the grocery and bulk food stores to teach her to shop better. She feels great and I could not be happy for her - she is even limiting rice, no small feat considering she's Chinese! I don't know the full history of her condition but her doctor recently had her start shots. She was told that he has to consume carbs prior to each shot and she asked me what she should be eating. Her doctor told her to eat grains beforehand........ I had no idea what to tell her other than to eat veggies and maybe some berries beforehand to see how that goes before she takes the good doctor's advice and starts eating bread and granola bars before her shots. What should I tell her? Any other advice? I don't want it to seem like I think I'm smarter than her doctor or anything, and quite frankly if I were in her shoes I'd probably be hanging on to my CW doctor's every word too.
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 04-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm not 100% part of the fruit is so so terrible and we should all limit it to some berries or cut it all all together, but it would be a good idea to limit it severely or cut it out. Fructose does no good for diabetics and there are no real benefits to fruit that can't be obtained elsewhere.

As for eating carbs, rice would be fine. Quinoa properly soaked and cooked would be fine. Although I think that yams would be better. Not a whole lot of antinutrient or auto-immune causing junk in there.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The shots are necessary to handle boluses of glucose. If she ingests those, she will need shots. If she takes a shot without a bolus of glucose, she will go hypoglycemic. If she neither ingests a bolus of glucose nor takes a shot, she will also be fine.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Oh type 1 diabetes! I don't even know what else I thought diabetes shots would be. /needs to read more closely.

Yeah I have also heard that chronic hyperglycemia responds well to eating very little glucose. It's kind of implied in the etymology.

blogs is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Dr. Bernstein is a doctor who specializes in treating diabetics with a low carb diet, he is a type 1 diabetic himself. Lots of references and good info on this site.