Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushups - what is wrong with me? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I guess I just won't bother with narrow pushups. I do pushups and dips almost every day. I was doing them against my desk. Now I do them against my chair. And the other day, I noticed one of those playground things had a pretty cool ladder-like thing so I can do them either on the second rung, or I can squeeze out one or one and a half on the bottom rung. I can also do reverse pullups and chinups on the little bridge.

One of these kinds of things. They're all different all over the city. I kinda feel like a dork when there are kids around.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I kinda feel like a dork when there are kids around
    i take my kids for cover lol we have a rule in my house that i cant expect them to do it, if i wont. check out al kavadlo's web site as he does alot of stuff in parks.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    How are you doing with the pelvic floor issues? I know this isn't what you are asking but I remember you posted about that a while back. I am having my first experience with the same thing.
    I think pelvic floor crap is like presbyopia. One day you're living your life just fine and then suddenly it's like, wtf?? I can't even read labels in the grocery store anymore. It's like one day you are just living your life and then suddenly it's like, whoa, and you make sure you go pee before you lift anything and make sure the route you run has at least one bathroom along the way.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Lots of good advice if the problem really is muscle/connective tissue weakness.

But perhaps the problem really is the way your arms are made! People's bodies are not nearly as standard as we'd like them to be. Maybe there's a piece of bone that extends a bit farther than everyone else's, or a piece missing somewhere!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I can do lots of chair and knee pushups. But I can't do a single regular one. I'll get there.
    Maybe start at the 'top' of the pushup, then go down and up?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    There is a girl who goes to Crossfit who is really strong... (at least compared to me lol), she can lift much heavier weights than I can with ease. BUT she struggles to do pushup (she can do them but her form isn't great, and if we have to do a lot she'll go to knee pushups).

Point is, I'm really not that strong... at least not yet, and I can do pushups pretty easily (managed over 200 in one Crossfit session). So yeah, I think the ability to do pushups varies, and it's not just down to how strong you are or whatever. There are obviously anatomical differences that make the ability to do pushups easier or more difficult.

Hey! I did a pushup today! I actually did two pushups! Woo hoo!

I also did 2 negative pullups and 2 negative chinups on the playground. One of these days I'll be able to do those, too.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yay!
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Check out NerdFitness for progressive movements on how to do a pushup:

How to do a proper push up | Nerd Fitness
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Can you do a bench press with a barbell or dumbells? If you can, choose a very light weight and build up over a couple of weeks. This should help you develop the muscles necessary for pushups. Do not use a bench press machine, use free weights as this will build your stabilizer muscles. Also do some supine db laterals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast