Thread: Beginning Primal Again ... Got a pre blood screening page

5amsports is offline Junior Member

Beginning Primal Again ... Got a pre blood screening

Primal Fuel
    My history is a I went primal 100% September 2011. At that time I was 35 years old, 296lbs, 6'0", male.

So I stayed on track, ran a half marathon in January 2012, and reached a low weight of 227lbs, 3/31/12. I was very happy with this, too happy. I slowly started adding alcohol back in, cheat meals more frequently, and became completely off-track by late June 2012. So basically have been back on SAD from July until today. I have not been to the doctor in 5 years so I thought, this time I would like to have a physical / blood work done prior, so that I can have better information in the future.

Male
    Weight: 277
    Glucose: 87
    Total Cholesterol: 178 mg/dl
    Triglycerides: 78 mg/dl
    HDL: 55 mg/dl
    LDL: 107 mg/dl (Calculated)
    Risk Ratio LDL/HDL: 1.95

I picked up the results today, the Doctor said the LDL was high and wants me to do a low carb / low cholesterol diet. I told her I would work on it.

So I am ready and will be taking before pictures this weekend.

Beyond that, should I just stick with the primal part and not worry about the Low Cholesterol part of her advise? My normal primal food intake was:

Breakfast
    4 pieces of bacon
    2 eggs fried in bacon
    4 Cups of Coffee (2 at home / 2 at work) with heavy whipping cream

Lunch:
    Mostly none, about 3 days a week, 1 package of almonds

Dinner:
    Large amount of grilled meat (beef, pork, chicken thighs)
    Large Salad with Romaine and Generous amount of Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar Dressing (made from scratch)

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks your for opinions.
    Last edited by 5amsports; 11-02-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    01/1/11: 312.5
    08/25/11: 296.3 PB Start Weight
    01/1/12: 246.0
    03/31/12: 227
    CW: 277
    Next Goal: 250 (1/1/13)

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    For me anyway when I started w/ the eggs and bacon every morning I noticed the weight start to creep back up. Much as I enjoyed that for breakfast everyday once I cut it out the weight dropped off again. I will still enjoy them but maybe only once per week or something. I do a banana for breakfast now. Of course you said you were eating them before and dropped lots of weight so maybe your body chemistry/type/metabolism/whatever is different than mine.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Is that even enough calories for you?
    And PLEASE eat some kale and berries. You need the antioxidants, and more carbs, especially if you're running half-marathons.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    I agree, please add some veggies! Kale is a superfood (meaning TONS of vitamins and minerals), strawberries have a ton of vitamin C and spinach & broccoli provide calcium. Variety is key!

Also, congrats on jumping back on the wagon. You can do it!