Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Trying out Bulletproof Coffee page 6

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    Can someone give me the cribs on why this is a good thing? Is it better than just black coffee? I buy unroasted coffee beans from sweet maria's and roast them myself. The coffee is unlike anything available in almost any store, at any price. I can drink and appreciate my coffee as I do a single malt. Whole Foods has decent coffees for upwards of $13.99/lb and I get superior, fresher beans at ~$6.00/lb. Is there any reason I should be adding butter and oil to my coffee?
    The only reason would be to rely on a little fat to ease the fasting period, that's about all. It is also delicious, I was on BPC for a while and that the creamiest coffee I ever had
    There is no other reason than that I think. You can have your coffee black and still fast all day long if you like. I do it sometimes, when I just don't want to ingest anything calorie dense in the morning.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Coffee does increase your insulin level a bit and the butter helps stabilize it and it also wards off hunger pains without driving you out of ketosis.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    To follow up: I tried 3 tbsp organic grassfed butter in 16 oz of coffee and it DEFINITELY is not for me. I've been drinking my coffee black for years and this was like drinking oil. It was a nasty sensation and gave me an upset stomach.

I'll stick to black coffee. Oddly enough I like my tea with lots of cream in it. Go figure!
    Last edited by ajm422; 05-08-2013 at 09:44 AM.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajm422 View Post
    To follow up: I tried 3 tbsp organic grassfed butter in 16 oz of coffee and it DEFINITELY is not for me. I've been drinking my coffee black for years and this tasted like I was drinking oil. It was a nasty sensation and gave me an upset stomach.

I'll stick to black coffee. Oddly enough I like my tea with lots of cream in it. Go figure!
    Was it UNSALTED butter? It makes a huge difference. Salted butter in coffee is nasty. And did you blend it with a blender until it was frothy? It makes a huge difference as well. Hand stirring will definitely not do it.

Not trying to convert you to put butter in your coffee but if you're gonna try it I just want to make sure you're doing it right.

ajm422 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Was it UNSALTED butter? It makes a huge difference. Salted butter in coffee is nasty. And did you blend it with a blender until it was frothy? It makes a huge difference as well. Hand stirring will definitely not do it.

Not trying to convert you to put butter in your coffee but if you're gonna try it I just want to make sure you're doing it right.
    Yup. I used organic, unsalted, grass-fed butter from a local farm and followed the recipe on the site to at T. I'm incredibly particular about my coffee - homeroasted and homeground beans, unfiltered water, french press, etc. I preheated the blender, frothed it all up, and it looked just like all the pictures I've seen: 0.5 inch layer of froth and a dark golden color. I was actually really excited - it was a pretty sight.

Maybe I could see it helping out a subpar up of coffee, but it wasn't really the taste I objected to. It was the consistency - like drinking a thin gravy almost. I'm sure it's something I could get used to, but I don't think it's worth it. I fast for 24-48 hours no big deal and I like black coffee. Glad I tried it though - now I know.

DVC Daisy is offline Junior Member
    I know this is not "bulletproof" coffee, but I am new here :-). I am trying to lose weight and I am currently putting 1/2 TBS coconut oil and 2-3 TBS heavy cream in my coffee (divided among 2 cups of coffee). Is there anything wrong with that? Using cream instead of butter for weight loss?

I tried googling this and I found is basically that putting cream in your coffee will not allow you to get into (?) or stay in Ketosis and is bad. However the only places that I found that information was on websites selling their ingredients for BPC.

Opinions?

Thank you!

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC Daisy View Post
    I know this is not "bulletproof" coffee, but I am new here :-). I am trying to lose weight and I am currently putting 1/2 TBS coconut oil and 2-3 TBS heavy cream in my coffee (divided among 2 cups of coffee). Is there anything wrong with that? Using cream instead of butter for weight loss?

I tried googling this and I found is basically that putting cream in your coffee will not allow you to get into (?) or stay in Ketosis and is bad. However the only places that I found that information was on websites selling their ingredients for BPC.

Opinions?

Thank you!
    I think the difference is that butter has very few lactose in it. Creal has a lot.
    So, it depends if you're lactose intolerant or not.

DVC Daisy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    I think the difference is that butter has very few lactose in it. Creal has a lot.
    So, it depends if you're lactose intolerant or not.
    Thank you, I am not lactose intolerant so it sounds like what I am doing is not harmful for weight loss. ??? :-)

Myrtille is offline Member
    I don't think it is... But I may not have all informations.
    For me hight fat low carbs work very well for weight loss, and (raw milk) cream works great.

hvnzdvl is offline Junior Member
    I've ordered items from Vitacost that I can't find locally or when it's plainly more cost-effective.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456