Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Trying out Bulletproof Coffee page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I wasn't trying to replace a meal necessarily or even aiming for IFing. I just couldn't seem to find a good replacement for my "portable" breakfast I used to eat on the way to work. So I started making the quiches from the PB quick cookbook and taking them thinking I would have them when I got there. After drinking the coffee in the car on the way I found I wasn't really hungry so I just ate the quiche for lunch. Now it's a routine...
    My solution has been to extend my fast until mid-morning and eat at my desk. Some days I might have a butter coffee earlier at around 7am, but I wouldn't consider that to be continuing the fast--then I'm just consuming liquid calories instead of solid food, but it's still not a fast.

I wake up at about 5am for work, so if I don't have anything to eat until 9:30 or 10, I've done 14-15 hours of fasting (counting from the time I finish dinner in the evening, usually around 7pm). If I have coffee with butter in it or an almond milk latte on my way to work, then it's only a 12-hour fast since I start work at 7am.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    If I don't seem to have trouble with dairy would there be an advantage to doing bullet proof over just heavy cream? Less carbs maybe? Coffee is one thing I just don't want to give up, less about caffeine than the ritual of it in the morning. I used to eat breakfast everyday and now with the heavy cream I don't eat breakfast and just skip to lunch/when I get hungry before I eat.
    I use both ghee and heavy whipping cream in my daily coffee. Probably 1t of each in a 16-20 oz cup. Love it.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I have a bullet coffee every morning (8oz/coffee + 1 ounce 35% cream) x 2 coffees. I eat lunch at 1pm (2 fried eggs and 3 strips bacon), and finish off with dinner around 5pm (4 ozs meat + 3 veggies + glass red wine). My calories are approx 1200 per day. I don't snack and I walk, sprint or lift daily. I'm around 4 lbs shy of goal weight, and continue to drop inches. My well-meaning friends whisper in my ear: "Don't lose any more weight" but I don't pay attention to 99% of individuals who are overweight anyway. I'm letting my body find it's natural set point as I avoid all grains, sugar and processed foods. We'll see where the body lands. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Zak
    Zak is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    How much butter do you use per cup?
    The site said 2tbs to 2 mugs, so I just used a tbs, but I think it could use more, thoughts?

I just made a batch of this stuff, and it is fantastic. I didn't get the fancy shmancy brand name stuff, just used some starbucks and unsalted butter. Totally unexpected, it looks like I just used cream in it, and all I did was use a counter top blender. Definitely give it a try if you haven't yet.
    For me it depends on the day, if I wake up feeling really hungry because I worked out the day before or something I will add more than my usual 1 tbs per 16 ounces. But I like to use MCT oil and coconut oil too. The coconut oil gives it more flavor in my opinion. I wrote a blog post about it here: My Experience with Bulletproof Coffee « Bullet Proof Coffee Review

Zak
    Zak is offline Junior Member
    I love the bulletproof coffee, and how much butter I put in it depends on the day. If I am feeling particularly tired or hungry I'll put more in. I know a lot of people think the upgraded coffee beans are expensive, but I think the beans are the most important part of the coffee and I get a better feeling from them compared to other ones I have tried. I have been doing intermittent fasting with the BPC for almost a month now, and if I skip my bulletproof coffee in the a.m., I get super hungry.

It took me about 10 days to really get used to the IF with BP Coffee but now it seems so natural I feel like I could do it forever! I am blogging about my experience doing the bulletproof coffee, intermittent fasting, and the paleo diet. If you guys are interested please visit my blog: Bulletproof Coffee and Bullet Proof Diet Review

I love this forum, I have learned so much from everybody and I just want to say thanks to everybody that contributes!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've been curious about using ghee as I am trying to get away from milk solids. The stronger flavor of ghee makes me pause though, and I hate to waste good coffee. Does anyone use/prefer ghee in their coffee? I rarely use bulletproof coffee, but I will use it (1 cup) later on on a Saturday morning when I know I need to skip lunch for one reason or another - it keeps me satiated until that evening.
    Ghee is made by cooking butter to where it almost burns. You could try clairified butter* instead, which doesn't burn the butter. Clarified butter is a little stronger than regular butter but it doesn't taste burned. I generally use 2 tablespoons clarified butter, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder, 14 oz water, stevia, and a splash of mint or vanilla. Blend with a hand blender. It also doesn't seem to work as a meal substitute for me either, but it is satisfying.

-----------
    *Put butter into mug. Put mug into pot of boiling water. When butter melts, turn off the heat. Pour the butter into a plastic freezer baggie with a corner pointing down. Let the bag sit in the warm water for 10 minutes to separate the white (milk) and yellow (butter) layers. Snip a tiny corner of the bag and let the white milk run out. Quickly move the bag to another container to collect the yellow butter. Refrigerate.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

bigtalldude is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    How much butter do you use per cup?
    The site said 2tbs to 2 mugs, so I just used a tbs, but I think it could use more, thoughts?

I just made a batch of this stuff, and it is fantastic. I didn't get the fancy shmancy brand name stuff, just used some starbucks and unsalted butter. Totally unexpected, it looks like I just used cream in it, and all I did was use a counter top blender. Definitely give it a try if you haven't yet.

Using any starbucks or commonly available coffee defeats the purpose of this. It CAN be done this way, but the balance of things hinges on 3 main things:
    MOLD and Fermentation free coffee (most sprouts, or specialty stores feature organically grown, nonfermented mold free beans.
    Grass fed UNSALTED butter
    MCT or organic coconut oil.

Using these 3 things, you get MORE caffeine, more energy than a redbull, PLUS the benefit of having a diminished appetite, and burn fat when having your coffee.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtalldude View Post
    Using any starbucks or commonly available coffee defeats the purpose of this. It CAN be done this way, but the balance of things hinges on 3 main things:
    MOLD and Fermentation free coffee (most sprouts, or specialty stores feature organically grown, nonfermented mold free beans.
    Grass fed UNSALTED butter
    MCT or organic coconut oil.

Using these 3 things, you get MORE caffeine, more energy than a redbull, PLUS the benefit of having a diminished appetite, and burn fat when having your coffee.

I agree with this. When I first started making Bulletproof coffee I would bring butter and coconut oil to work and make it with the cheap break room coffee. It still had some positive effects, but also caused stomach discomfort and jitters. Switching to a higher quality coffee (Guatemalan coffee from Sprouts in my case) increases the positive effects and mostly eliminates the negative. It seems like there may be something to the theory about mold and toxins in cheap coffee, at least from personal experience. It is expensive, but it would be interesting to try some of the Upgraded coffee some time so see if additional improvements are possible.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    I agree with this. When I first started making Bulletproof coffee I would bring butter and coconut oil to work and make it with the cheap break room coffee. It still had some positive effects, but also caused stomach discomfort and jitters. Switching to a higher quality coffee (Guatemalan coffee from Sprouts in my case) increases the positive effects and mostly eliminates the negative. It seems like there may be something to the theory about mold and toxins in cheap coffee, at least from personal experience. It is expensive, but it would be interesting to try some of the Upgraded coffee some time so see if additional improvements are possible.
    ^This.
    Most of the coffee in NYC is absolute crap, so I actually order from the bulletproof site.
    I've been carrying butter with me when I go out of town on the weekends, but buttered convenience store coffee just makes me groggy and foggy... espresso's a lot better (the bulletproof site suggests espresso if you can't get clean beans/brew), but I just ordered a travel grinder and press for going out of town (which I do almost weekly) so I can better control the quality of my coffee.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    ^This.
    Most of the coffee in NYC is absolute crap, so I actually order from the bulletproof site.
    I've been carrying butter with me when I go out of town on the weekends, but buttered convenience store coffee just makes me groggy and foggy... espresso's a lot better (the bulletproof site suggests espresso if you can't get clean beans/brew), but I just ordered a travel grinder and press for going out of town (which I do almost weekly) so I can better control the quality of my coffee.
    I haven't heard that about espresso before, but it is interesting. I use a manual grinder and an aeropress at home. As I understand it, and I am far from a coffee expert, the aeropress esentially brews a concentrated espresso from the beans which you then add hot water to in order to make regular coffee. Maybe this method compensates for not using the highest quality beans when compared to a traditional coffeee machine, or the unwashed, bacteria filled junk they have in breakrooms or convenience stores.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast