Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out Bulletproof Coffee page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    No my mistake, it should have been 0.8 -1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 2 gram per kilo. It is still more protein than most dieters are consuming...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I like cream in my coffee....I would use butter instead simply because its hard to source grass fed cream PLUS butter keeps longer. As to the benefits. Well you get fat soluble vitamins and energy quickly.....and I freaking love coffee and cream. So thats bout it. For those that are IF'ing you eliminate insulin spikes and extend the "fast". Yes you could have eggs OR "insert food here". Really doesn't matter though. We're talking 100-200 calories of good fat.

Far as the protein deal....yes you need protein to retain lean muscle mass, however the largest determining factor is doing some resistance exercise while your in a deficit. I don't believe that anything shows that the number is anywhere near 2x body weight as protein. The guidelines in PB for .7-1g/LEAN mass is quite sufficient (I'm using lbs your using kilos so same diff ). Ketosis IS muscle sparing. It's why many use it to lean out in the bodybuilding would.

In the end BP coffee is just coffee and butter. Nothing inherently good or bad about it. And of course everyone knows its not magic.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-03-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    No my mistake, it should have been 0.8 -1 gram per pound of bodyweight or 2 gram per kilo. It is still more protein than most dieters are consuming...
    You answered as I was typing...haha. Thats much closer to what I've seen.

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Body weight or lean muscle mass? I've seen it both ways and tend to get confused on this. I do a lot of gym work & riding so tend to lean toward the gram/lb of bodyweight approach

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Body weight or lean muscle mass? I've seen it both ways and tend to get confused on this. I do a lot of gym work & riding so tend to lean toward the gram/lb of bodyweight approach
    It doesen't really matter very much, but if you have lots of fat to loose go for the lean body mass number instead. The point of getting enough protein is ALSO for better hunger control from proteins and thermogenic efect from proteins - this works even for people that doesen't train.

Just let me add that I like the taste of the butter coffee though and even better when adding some dark chocholate into the cup...

Yep, the numbers are pretty standard, but I am not very much used to calculate in pounds, lol...

It doesen't really matter very much, but if you have lots of fat to loose go for the lean body mass number instead. The point of getting enough protein is ALSO for better hunger control from proteins and thermogenic efect from proteins - this works even for people that doesen't train.

Just let me add that I like the taste of the butter coffee though and even better when adding some dark chocholate into the cup...
    I don't have much weight left to lose - I've lost more than what I currently weigh (mainly via CW approach) - outside of what is left around my middle which is, probably, more skin than anything. I think I will stick with the body weight formula.

I've not thought of adding dark chocolate into the cup - will have to try that next time

I don't have much weight left to lose - I've lost more than what I currently weigh (mainly via CW approach)
    Wow, good work! I bet you have not been drinking too much bulletproof coffee by doing that?

I've not thought of adding dark chocolate into the cup - will have to try that next time
    It may kick you out of ketosis though, if that’s important to you! I make my not-so-bulletproof-coffee with 1 teaspoon of Nescafe, 20 gram of dark chocolate, 1-2 gram of Splenda and one tablespoon of unsalted butter. I put everything in a steel-thermos and shake it together with hot water. You can also add a little rum! Very tasty, and it's almost primal too...

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I don't think it's magic, and the calories don't somehow disappear because you put them in your coffee. Yes, it won't kick you out of ketosis, but it's still energy you take in.

I find black coffee is sometimes hard on my stomach without a little fat to cushion it, and butter is a nice alternative to cream when I'm trying to limit lactose/casein intake (too much dairy makes me bloaty). I don't call it bulletproof coffee, though. I call it "coffee with butter". I also like butter tea. I bought one of those little battery-operated whisk things that are meant for frothing milk, and that mixes it quite nicely without the fuss of the blender.
    I wasn't trying to replace a meal necessarily or even aiming for IFing. I just couldn't seem to find a good replacement for my "portable" breakfast I used to eat on the way to work. So I started making the quiches from the PB quick cookbook and taking them thinking I would have them when I got there. After drinking the coffee in the car on the way I found I wasn't really hungry so I just ate the quiche for lunch. Now it's a routine...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Frankly I don't know if I am in ketosis or not - with my activity level I am afraid to allow my carbs to drop <50, I keep them between 60-80. I DO crave meat and fat after an especially hard workout or a long bike ride, assuming that is a sign of anything (probably not).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast