Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying out Bulletproof Coffee page 2

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for everyones thoughts and tips, I tried it yesterday and was quite impressed with the results, I think I'll keep it up on fast days.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's magic, and the calories don't somehow disappear because you put them in your coffee. Yes, it won't kick you out of ketosis, but it's still energy you take in.

I find black coffee is sometimes hard on my stomach without a little fat to cushion it, and butter is a nice alternative to cream when I'm trying to limit lactose/casein intake (too much dairy makes me bloaty). I don't call it bulletproof coffee, though. I call it "coffee with butter". I also like butter tea. I bought one of those little battery-operated whisk things that are meant for frothing milk, and that mixes it quite nicely without the fuss of the blender.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    I've been curious about using ghee as I am trying to get away from milk solids. The stronger flavor of ghee makes me pause though, and I hate to waste good coffee. Does anyone use/prefer ghee in their coffee? I rarely use bulletproof coffee, but I will use it (1 cup) later on on a Saturday morning when I know I need to skip lunch for one reason or another - it keeps me satiated until that evening.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Some people use ghee instead of butter if they are very lactose intolerant. I'm sure the flavor will get lost in the coffee. Now and then I add a bit of cinnamon or chocolate. Typically a couple mugs lasts me till lunch or mid afternoon. The people who say it "doesn't work" for appetite suppression sound like they are only using tiny bits of fats. I use Kerrygold butter for its high K2 content and usually coconut oil and/or MCT oil. It adds up to my normal breakfast worth of calories so its not surprising that I'm not hungry till lunch.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and I do factor in the calories from the butter/oil into my total for the day. It isn't to magically suppress my appetite, or that I think that it vanishes... I use this because I am still in major gut healing mode, and I feel that it is helpful to me to get more pure healthy fat in me, so that my gut recovers.

Not being hungry for 6 hours is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    Some people use ghee instead of butter if they are very lactose intolerant. I'm sure the flavor will get lost in the coffee. Now and then I add a bit of cinnamon or chocolate. Typically a couple mugs lasts me till lunch or mid afternoon. The people who say it "doesn't work" for appetite suppression sound like they are only using tiny bits of fats. I use Kerrygold butter for its high K2 content and usually coconut oil and/or MCT oil. It adds up to my normal breakfast worth of calories so its not surprising that I'm not hungry till lunch.
    mmmmmm chocolate! I use Kerrygold to make ghee and also add a bit of coconut oil. The calories are lower than my normal brekkie but it would probably be close to the same if I had two cups. It still keeps me satiated however when I do this for lunch - I am afraid I wouldn't sleep if I had two cups that late in the day, my body is sensitive to that. I wouldn't do this for breakfast though, I am typically much too active early in the day to not have real food and I don't have time to eat afterwards.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Understood View Post
    The people who say it "doesn't work" for appetite suppression sound like they are only using tiny bits of fats.
    Of course it can "work" to some extent if you put enough butter or cream in your coffee, but at what price?

Pure fat in combination with coffee is not the best appetite suppression tool in my opinion. Hunger pangs are also getting worse when people are getting leaner and fat alone is not an optimal solution - especially when you can get 2-3 whole eggs for the same amount of calories that you puts in your coffee or tea...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 11-03-2012 at 10:37 AM.

That is why I rarely use it, to me it is almost like a treat.

As odd as this might sound, part of my problem is that I don't GET hunger pangs. My body adapted over to highly restricted calories even though I was physically quite active - and as a result I don't seem to "feel" hungry unless I strictly fast for protracted period. I've noted, however, that seems to be starting to change. I went paleo back in August, and I've actually felt a few hunger pangs recently. I see this as a good sign that my body is starting to heal and is enjoying eating real food. I also won't do IF for this reason.

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    The point of butter and coconut oil rather than eating eggs etc. is for people who want to remain in ketosis. Some days I'd rather just have the fat. I often get plenty too much protein with just lunch and dinner.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Not a good point related to eggs, because you will remain in ketosis by eating them! The benefits of getting enough protein when dieting, around 0.8 - 1 gram X lb of bodyweight, is better hunger control and also better thermogenic effect than for fat + avoiding loss of lean bodymass. Study after study has shown that this is the case...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 11-03-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: miscalculation

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast