Thread: Cravings page

Monk is offline Senior Member

Cravings

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am in my third week and was wondering if anyone has ideas on coping with cravings. Yesterday was the third time since beginning, that I had a craving for cheesecake. Luckily the organic store i buy most of my food had no power...they have a deli and make these little cheesecakes. I ended up buying some Reeses cups.

I think it is more craving the taste of something and not the atual food itself. I almost had myself refocused on something else yesterday but couldn't shake it. I'd be happy with an eyedropper of the "taste" and not have to actually eat whatever I am craving, then I'd be able to move on.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I was the person eating whole cheesecakes in one sitting. Now I am not even tempted. What worked for me is eat lots of healthy fats like butter and coconut oil, and this seems to help other people on here control their cravings. I believe this is part of healing your body combined with a bit of patience and perseverance. Once that is done, as I think I did, I can handle the occasional cheat like cheesecake and (real) ice cream, but I don't crave it at all any more.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Its funny that you mention that because I have cravings only when its time for my period. Then I crave greasy foods like burgers and fries, movie popcorn. Other times, I don't even want anything sweet! Its hard to fight and I usually give in which is bad, but its like this power overtakes me!! : O
    Health is Wealth!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    I was the person eating whole cheesecakes in one sitting. Now I am not even tempted. What worked for me is eat lots of healthy fats like butter and coconut oil, and this seems to help other people on here control their cravings. I believe this is part of healing your body combined with a bit of patience and perseverance. Once that is done, as I think I did, I can handle the occasional cheat like cheesecake and (real) ice cream, but I don't crave it at all any more.
    That's helpful and made me think about maybe keeping some of the individual coconut waters handy for those times. Hmmm.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Tell yourself you can have whatever it is, but tell yourself you'll go get it later. Keep putting it off.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Tell yourself you can have whatever it is, but tell yourself you'll go get it later. Keep putting it off.
    I can actually give myself permission to procastinate.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I go for asking myself what "flavor profile" the craved food is, and then just concocting something around that. Example: a few weeks ago I was craving an apple pie. Damndest thing, as we don't eat apple pie around here much (holiday food for us), even pre-Primal, but I just couldn't shake it.

So I took a fresh local apple, cut it into chunks, dropped it into a Pyrex dish, added globs of coconut oil and apple pie spice, NO SWEETENER, and let her rip in the nuke until the apple warmed through and just lost its fresh bite. I ate the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely. Apple pie craving went away.

But I have used lots of tactics - procrastinating, eating moar good fats (helps the most), bitching and just willpowering my way through, sipping bone broth, face-planting myself into a huge salad bowl of greens... Last night was a doozie: I wanted Halloween candy. Hubby made me a big rare burger with lots of bacon, to which I added chevre (goat cheese - low carb naturally). That helped.

So I guess my second tactic is this - run, don't walk, for the closest rare beef and bacon combo you can get your hands on and enjoy every bite. In fact, this might be my new mantra - I need BEEEEEEFFFFFF... bloody BEEEEEEEFFFF...

Yeah, you are healing. Keep at it! It does get better and better with time.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I often times have cravings after meals for something sweet, and usually I can just ignore it, but when I can't, I turn to primal alternatives. I make sure I have lots of primal treats just in case. I'm talking 88% dark chocolate, frozen berries and heavy cream (favorite), home made pumpkin granola (a little on the sweet side, but still primal).

The trick is to not indulge in the refined sugars and grains, and when you do indulge in something primal, don't overdue it. Instead of eating out of the bag, use a little bowl to control and observe how much you eat. Good luck and keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Sometimes I go for asking myself what "flavor profile" the craved food is, and then just concocting something around that. Example: a few weeks ago I was craving an apple pie. Damndest thing, as we don't eat apple pie around here much (holiday food for us), even pre-Primal, but I just couldn't shake it.

So I took a fresh local apple, cut it into chunks, dropped it into a Pyrex dish, added globs of coconut oil and apple pie spice, NO SWEETENER, and let her rip in the nuke until the apple warmed through and just lost its fresh bite. I ate the whole thing and enjoyed it immensely. Apple pie craving went away.

But I have used lots of tactics - procrastinating, eating moar good fats (helps the most), bitching and just willpowering my way through, sipping bone broth, face-planting myself into a huge salad bowl of greens... Last night was a doozie: I wanted Halloween candy. Hubby made me a big rare burger with lots of bacon, to which I added chevre (goat cheese - low carb naturally). That helped.

So I guess my second tactic is this - run, don't walk, for the closest rare beef and bacon combo you can get your hands on and enjoy every bite. In fact, this might be my new mantra - I need BEEEEEEFFFFFF... bloody BEEEEEEEFFFF...

Yeah, you are healing. Keep at it! It does get better and better with time.
    thanks. I am going to keep that apple pie trick in mind too. I had a cocnut water/pineaplle this morning and think it is pretty close to cheese cake, so i'm going to try and keep some on hand for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    I often times have cravings after meals for something sweet, and usually I can just ignore it, but when I can't, I turn to primal alternatives. I make sure I have lots of primal treats just in case. I'm talking 88% dark chocolate, frozen berries and heavy cream (favorite), home made pumpkin granola (a little on the sweet side, but still primal).

The trick is to not indulge in the refined sugars and grains, and when you do indulge in something primal, don't overdue it. Instead of eating out of the bag, use a little bowl to control and observe how much you eat. Good luck and keep at it!
    Thanks, I do have fruit and dark chocolate, just didn't feel like it would scratch the itch at the time.