Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potatoes! page

tezmo Guest

Primal Fuel

Please forgive me if this is covered in one of the definitive guides somewhere - I am really struggling to find a satisfactory answer.

As far as 'taters are concerned, when explaining the PB to a person it routinely comes up that (in their conventional wisdom, common sense thought process) these things are a perceived as vegetable like any other - I can explain how the likes of bread and all of our other grain-derived products are a result of farming and processing, but taters are growing in my compost bin - I can't come up with a satisfactory explanation for how they weren't an option for Grok.

Any great ideas? Thank you all

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

They were Andes Grok's staple, of course.

The alleged problem with potatoes, AFAIK, is that their starches hit the bloodstream as glucose like Patton crossing the Rhine. Faster than almost any other starch, maybe the fastest. The Glycemic Index for spuds is at the top. Compounding this sin, many people eat a lot at one sitting. Cheap and tasty. Watch my insulin spike! Woo hoo!

I'm going to have a bit of potato with breakfast this AM. It's in the hash that I'm fixing for The Old Folks. Dad is in hospice care, so I'm looking for all the foods he really likes, this is one. In the old days I'd eat the whole can by myself. Today I'll have a few spoons.

tezmo Guest

Thank you for the reply, Bayou The biology is of course well covered - I thank you for the information - but precisely how these things were not available to our hunter-gatherer ancestors is what I struggle to explain. Surely if they were around, they would have had a place in Grok's diet?

Vewy simple, gwasshoppa!

"Grok" is our mascot for pre-agriculture humans. If current anthropological thinking is correct, humans would have come across potato's ancestors less than 10,000 years ago in the Andes mountains. Like corn, discovered somewhere about the same time, our evolution has not adapted to making them "good" for us. So, compared to the world population, the original eaters of potatoes until the 16th century was minuscule in number.

Interestingly, I was reading a few months ago about the UN food honchos pushing potatoes for local production. Grain often comes from far away and from John Deere farms that locals cannot logically compete with. But potatoes are easy to grow, loaded with good nutrients (it's only the insulin spiking thing that we fat westerners find bad), and can grow almost anywhere. Power to the people!

tezmo Guest

ahhhhhhhh so they just plain weren't around for Grok to stumble upon! Indeed, a little googling backs this up with "Genetic testing of the wide variety of cultivars and wild species suggest that the potato has a single origin in the area of southern Peru."

Outstanding, OTB - this one has been bugging me for quite some time, so I am delighted to finally have a proper answer

I last had taters at christmas, so as not to upset my mum.....they were tasty, but now the thought rather turns my stomach.

Don't deprive yourself, tezmo. One of the beauties of PB over Atkins is that PB is kinder and gentler. Atkins was too rigid for me....and many others.

As I said, spuds are good nutrition, the only thing of concern is that insulin spiking. So, have a bit now and then, don't totally deprive yourself. Pile on the organic butter and sour cream if you can take the calories! And you might consider a starch blocker, which we have heatedly discussed here lately.

Of the three deadly carb sins, potato, rice, wheat, potato is the one I would last give up. Just keep the portions small.

maurile is offline Senior Member

In addition to the points mentioned above, potatoes are inedible raw. So our ancestors wouldn't have been able to eat them until after they'd started cooking. That may have been quite some time ago, but still far less time than our ancestors had been eating meats, fruits, (non-tuber) vegetables, and nuts.

Dream Guest

Was going to mention what Maurile did- potatoes are pure poison raw. Our ancestors didnt get around to cooking them till a short while ago... (which makes them edible, but still horrible).

I'd take a look here for more info

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html

Dollface is offline Member

You've got some great logical answers. I know for me potatoes were like an addiction. I could honestly eat a whole plate and not realise how much I had eaten, when it comes to kumara (sweet potato) I can only eat one.

PrimalCon New York

Inedible raw? I've always nibbled potatoes as I cut them. Maybe it's the quantity. I have a hard time believing they are inedible, maybe they give a tummy ache in quantity or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast