Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Female hair loss with Primal lifestyle page 2

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Because of the timeline, I suspect it's a case of telogen effluvium. 3-9 months after a stressful event in life (which in your case, could've been switching to primal, it IS a shock for the body, after all), your hair will often fall out. The hair growth cycle arrests during the stressful event and then some months later, the follicle will enter the loss phase. On the upside, the hair regrows healthy.
    I went through this after my surgery, even though I was never the type of person to lose hair when I was stressed out and I had certainly gone through some very stressful things (being homeless, 3 FT jobs, etc). I was losing clumps, but realistically, only my hairdresser and myself noticed. The hairdresser only knew because she could see two very obvious tiers in my hair.
    2.5 years later, my hair is totally normal. Assuming your derm visit is uneventful, your hair will likely restore itself in a few months.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the other poster that said a thyroid test may not reveal everything. You need a full thyroid panel to tell. That said you probably don't have it if: your eyebrows are still full, your thyroid doesn't feel enlarged, you aren't gaining weight, you aren't cold all the time, and you have good mental clarity.

I would still recommend upping your starches a bit. Unless you are seeing actual baldness, I wouldn't waste the time and money on a trip to the dermatologist.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    When I read your thread title, thyroid is the first thing I thought. I would ask for a print out of you labs and do some more research.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I have had the same problem recently. I have hypothyroidism and my meds were lowered in June. I recently quit taking my HRT because I hate taking meds in less I absolutely have to and am wondering if that is the problem. So it could be a change in your system. If your Dr. is paleo friendly ask him/her for a full thyroid panel not just the normal TS4. I can't remember all the terms but I can find them if you need.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

PrimalQ is offline Junior Member
    If you are eating lots of eggs...taper down a bit. I read once that eggs lower your biotin levels. Take a biotin supplement. Best of luck.

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Because of the timeline, I suspect it's a case of telogen effluvium. 3-9 months after a stressful event in life (which in your case, could've been switching to primal, it IS a shock for the body, after all), your hair will often fall out. The hair growth cycle arrests during the stressful event and then some months later, the follicle will enter the loss phase. On the upside, the hair regrows healthy.
    I went through this after my surgery, even though I was never the type of person to lose hair when I was stressed out and I had certainly gone through some very stressful things (being homeless, 3 FT jobs, etc). I was losing clumps, but realistically, only my hairdresser and myself noticed. The hairdresser only knew because she could see two very obvious tiers in my hair.
    2.5 years later, my hair is totally normal. Assuming your derm visit is uneventful, your hair will likely restore itself in a few months.
    Interesting about the stress factor, I noticed this morning that I had lost a heap of hair in the shower and it coincides with me leaving my husband just over 3 months ago. Will have to keep an eye on it thou.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12