Thread: Nutrional Ketosis Resources? page

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member

Nutrional Ketosis Resources?

Shop Now
    Hey All,

Nice to be here! This is such a fantastic place.

I just have a few questions/concerns about how to really fine tune some things as it relates to getting into nutritional ketosis.

I've been primal for about two months now and have lost some weight. I was 245 lbs. when I started and now I am at 235 (I'm 6'1"). I feel pretty crappy though, and I have a suspicion I am not in nutritional ketosis because I am eating too much protein. I'd like to calculate what my daily macro requirements are, just to get an idea of how much I should be eating at each meal and then kind of go from there. What I really want to figure out, is how much fat/protein I should be eating. Is there an online resource here on MDA or somewhere else I can check out to get the ball rolling? Thanks guys!
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Paleobird Guest
    I highly recommend the book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek and the blog of Dr. Peter Attia, The Eating Academy. Those two should get you started on the right track.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I highly recommend the book, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek and the blog of Dr. Peter Attia, The Eating Academy. Those two should get you started on the right track.
    I second that. If you want to exercise while going LCHF, then after reading the above book, check out Phinney & Volek's second book, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

Thanks guys! I had the first of the Art and Science books but gave it to a health care practitioner who was interested in it after I read it last year. I'll have to re-purchase and get the new one, everyone seems to be really in love with these books and after looking around last night I can see why. Anyone have experience with testing blood ketone levels and how necessary is this if I really focus on upping fat and curbing protein?
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Also, what do you guys think of fitday.com? I'm just having an issue with calculating protein each day. It's related to calculating the cut of meat, in ounces, before or after cooking.

I've noticed, before I cook a pork chop, say, it's 11 oz. but after cooking it for 20 minutes in a pan with coconut oil it comes down to 8 oz. I'm wondering which measure I should use to input into fitday to get the most accurate reading of protein in the pork chop, or any other meat. Thanks again!

-George Carlin

Paleobird Guest
    I have found Fitday to have some pretty big (and frequent) inaccuracies but there are several other such sites. I use SparkPeople but have also heard good things about Chon-o-Meter.

About meat. I should always be measured raw.

And Annlee is right about the second Phinney/Volek book. It totally debunks the, "I'm an athlete. I need my carbs.", mythology.