Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffee and water retention page

primalsun is offline Member

Coffee and water retention

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys! I'll keep this one short and sweet: basically, I used to drink 2-3 cups of coffee every day with a little cream or just black. This past weekend I unintentionally went three days with no coffee at all. I noticed that I looked to be storing much less water, it was almost like the first week on primal when there's a big "swoosh" of water weight. Anyone else experience this? Can a coffee or caffeine intolerance cause you to be inflamed and store water? Since then, I've had one cup the last two days and I can't really tell if its effected anything. Oh, and the headaches from caffeine withdrawal were a killer!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I am the same way. You could have a cross-allergy with the proteins in coffee that would cause inflammation.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I thought caffeine was a natural diuretic, so I guess unless you have an allergy to something else in the coffee - I'd have to say its not the coffee causing the water retention. Could just be a fluke - maybe you've inadvertently reduced you're salt intake as well. ?????
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I suspect there is a curve where a little caffeine is a diuretic and a lot of caffeine causes water retention. I gave myself caffeine intoxication a couple weeks ago and I was never so puffy and bloated in all my life.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Comma is offline Senior Member
    OH YES! Coffee bloats me like crazy. If you have gluten snsitivty, you migh thave coffee too. It sucks.

Stripes79 is offline Junior Member
    I also had the "swoosh" in the first week but that was earlier in the year. I've tried to stop drinking coffee but after about two days I have to have some. I try this every few months and fail. I drink too much and do notice water retention when I start back up.

primalsun is offline Member
    It does seem like everyone reacts a bit differently. I did some "research" (google hehe) and I found one interesting although relatively unscientific study that basically said different people have different ways of metabolizing caffeine. Some people are apparently "slow metabolizers" and some are "fast metabolizers." The study suggested that those that metabolize coffee slowly may be at risk for inflammation and therefore, water retention. But I cant seem to find the article again! AGH.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Fortunately, I seem to tolerate it well, and that's good, cuz I damn sure ain't givin it up.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Not for me! I drink coffee and then I spend half the day heading for the bathroom. Especially since I''m doing a water challenge right now and trying to drink lots more water too!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As long as I don't go overboard, I tend to tolerate coffee pretty well. I can do about two cups a day and be absolutely fine. When I get to number three, things tend to go south.

The take away? Know your limits, and they're going to be different for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast