Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an elevator speech? page

Mr. Koozie is offline Senior Member

Do you have an elevator speech?

Hi primal peeps. Most people dont ask me but I usually say something along the lines of I dont eat processed food, dont snack, and I lift weights every now and then. This results in a deer-in-the-headlights look from them. Your average American these days does not understand what is processed and what isnt so I have basically told them nothing. Im certainly not going to use the terms paleo or primal because that just initiates a negative response (unfortunately) even though most people have no clue what those words mean. Im sure this has been brought up before but do you have a good elevator speech? Please share.
    You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have. - Ron Swanson

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I agree that the term, 'Paleo' or 'primal' illicits a very strange look. I'm better off saying that I 'don't eat processed foods' or if I'm on a seminar, I indicate 'allergies to'......... don't worry --- we'll get there in terms of understanding. In the meantime, eat, enjoy and grok on!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yep. No mention of Grok here. I just tell people I don't eat junk food, mostly vegetables and meat.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

jakey is offline Senior Member
    "i'm really weird, there's all sorts of shit i won't eat."

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I just say I'm eating wheat free. That's a pretty good approximation of cutting out processed foods in a way they can grok.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I either tell people I eat mostly meat (that's my joke response, like if people ask if I'm a vegetarian) or I tell them I eat only meat and vegetables. If pressed I admit I also eat cheese, chocolate, nuts and wine, but keep those to a minimum.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    "My philosophy is, if our great grandparents didn't eat it, spit it out."

Naw, actually I leave it at "Low carb, gluten free."
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Metabolic Efficiency - Nutrition Elevator Pitch

I eat real food fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit. I choose foods that are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition. I have chosen to refrain from eating cultivated grains or foods that promote inflammation or rapid insulin production by my body. The quality of the foods that go into my body is important Im careful about where my meat comes from, and buy my meats and produce locally and organically as often as possible. When necessary, I will use high quality supplements to ensure I am meeting the needs of my body.

I am not on a calorie restriction diet I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy and a healthy weight. My diet is probably much higher in fat than youd imagine. Fat isnt the enemy its a great energy source when it comes from high quality foods like avocado, coconut and nuts. And Im not trying to do a low carb thing, but since Im eating vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal and pasta, it just happens to work out that way.

Eating like this is good for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation within my body. I'm very pleased by my energy levels while eating this way. I don't have dramatic blood sugar highs and lows or the dreaded 2:00pm "slump". My body composition and performance in the gym and on the playing field are showing steady improvement. My chosen diet and lifestyle also helps to minimize my risk for a whole host of chronic diseases and conditions like diabetes, heart attack and stroke.

I spend quality time exercising at a moderately low % of my maximum capacity. Not a day goes by without doing something to promote good form and proper balance between strength and efficiency. By doing this I am teaching my body to rely on fat stores more and carbohydrates less. I periodically exercise in short bursts of very high intensity to promote muscle strength and development. I lift heavy things a few times a week too.
    Last edited by Karma; 11-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.

MeatMaker is offline Junior Member
    "If I could have killed it with a rock, spear, bow or fishhook, or pulled it from the ground or from a tree or shrub 10,000 years ago, I eat it".

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "I eat lots of meat, vegetables, and coconut oil, and stay away from breads, cereals and other grains."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast