Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have an elevator speech? page 2

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i usually say that i eat an ancestral diet with modern convenience, and if people want more info i'll give them a few details and tell them to research the rest.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member
    They get "wheat free" since it has been on TV, that's what I do. I really don't want to deal with telling people what I am actually doing.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I just say I'm eating wheat free. That's a pretty good approximation of cutting out processed foods in a way they can grok.
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

Aili is offline Senior Member

not really for the elevator

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    Metabolic Efficiency - Nutrition Elevator Pitch

I eat “real” food – fresh, natural food like meat, vegetables and fruit. I choose foods that are nutrient dense, with lots of naturally-occurring vitamins and minerals, over foods that have more calories but less nutrition. I have chosen to refrain from eating cultivated grains or foods that promote inflammation or rapid insulin production by my body. The quality of the foods that go into my body is important – I’m careful about where my meat comes from, and buy my meats and produce locally and organically as often as possible. When necessary, I will use high quality supplements to ensure I am meeting the needs of my body.

I am not on a calorie restriction “diet” – I eat as much as I need to maintain strength, energy and a healthy weight. My diet is probably much higher in fat than you’d imagine. Fat isn’t the enemy – it’s a great energy source when it comes from high quality foods like avocado, coconut and nuts. And I’m not trying to do a “low carb” thing, but since I’m eating vegetables and fruits instead of bread, cereal and pasta, it just happens to work out that way.

Eating like this is good for maintaining a healthy metabolism and reducing inflammation within my body. I'm very pleased by my energy levels while eating this way. I don't have dramatic blood sugar highs and lows or the dreaded 2:00pm "slump". My body composition and performance in the gym and on the playing field are showing steady improvement. My chosen diet and lifestyle also helps to minimize my risk for a whole host of chronic diseases and conditions like diabetes, heart attack and stroke.

I spend quality time exercising at a moderately low % of my maximum capacity. Not a day goes by without doing something to promote good form and proper balance between strength and efficiency. By doing this I am teaching my body to rely on fat stores more and carbohydrates less. I periodically exercise in short bursts of very high intensity to promote muscle strength and development. I lift heavy things a few times a week too.

If the speech is given in a really tall structure...it might work with someone who is keen to learn (it IS interesting!). For most it would be TMI!

Aili is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    "I eat lots of meat, vegetables, and coconut oil, and stay away from breads, cereals and other grains."
    ditto for me

Paleobird Guest
    "I eat mostly animal protein and vegetables with a little fruit and nuts." <ding> (Second floor)

merryish is offline Senior Member
    I spend a lot of time in doctor's offices, and since I started Primal I get a lot of questions at work about the weight I've lost, so I have honed it down tight:

"I don't eat grains, legumes, sugar, or dairy, and I don't drink alcohol. I eat a lot of fat, a little bit of vegetables, and fruit only occasionally. I cycle half an hour four or five nights a week while I watch TV."

I do eat SOME sugar, usually in the form of dark chocolate, and I do use butter and occasionally cheese, but they're not looking for a list of my occasional indulgences, so I don't give them one unless they ask for it.

I definitely don't tell them that I'm now kind of grossed out by meat/eggs/dairy that isn't grass-fed and/or otherwise from humanely raised animals, because I've found that's when people start looking at you funny. Which I find kind of laughable in a society that's willing to re-route internal organs to lose weight, but what can you do?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    "I eat mostly animal protein and vegetables with a little fruit and nuts." <ding> (Second floor)
    Then they say over their shoulder as they are walking away..."Oh, so basically AAAAATKINS".

My one liner is: "I quit eating sugar, flour, and oil and the weight just melted off."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Then they say over their shoulder as they are walking away..."Oh, so basically AAAAATKINS".

My one liner is: "I quit eating sugar, flour, and oil and the weight just melted off."
    I hate it when people do that. But I am just trying to define Primal by what I DO eat as opposed to what I've cut out.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

Thats a good point otzi......since people seem to (well they think they know Atkins) you could use that. "I eat whole food Atkins with food sourced from local farmers"

Nah, honestly I don't mind saying paleo, primal, or ancestral......I don't care if they know what that is or not. It's the keywords they need to find the info themselves so I use it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    News flash: "Healthy" CW is also unprocessed, real food, no junk food, etc. So I don't think it works to use those terms.

Since I had very little weight to lose, I can only say that wheat gave me heartburn. No wheat, no Prilosec.
    But I convinced a co-worker to go Primal, he lost 25 pounds, and he uses the anti-grain angle.

What worries me is that the newest diet fashion is "gluten-free" instead of grain free. So now we have people loading up on non-gluten whole wheat, cornmeal, rice, designer non-gluten grains, and sugar. And not dropping weight and getting really frustrated.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast