Thread: If I only want one type of flour in my home? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

If I only want one type of flour in my home?

Shop Now
    I eat squid about twice a month, maybe three times. Okay, I eat it as often as I can afford.

Last night as I'm eating my yummy sauteed squid and tomatoes, I was just jonesin' for fried squid.

I don't bake. I rarely ever used flour to thicken sauces, even when I had a cheap bag of wheat flour in the house. In fact, I used flour so rarely that I generally threw it out before the bag was used up because I was afraid that there were creatures living in the bottom of it after so long.

So, armed with all that info, what kind of flour would you advise me to keep in the home for the 2-3 times a month that I want to dredge those squiddlies in flour and toss them in (a good) hot oil?

Thanx in advance!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    If you fry in a pan or use it to thicken sauces, either tapioca or rice flour are good.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    I've used this for shrimp:
    Paleo Fried Shrimp, A Crispy Seafood Entrée Also Great Baked

I've swapped flaxmeal for the coconut for other fish.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    I would never touch oxidized flaxseed oil after it has been ground into a pulp and exposed to air.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I second the tapioca and rice flour recommendations for the way you're using it. I also like coconut flour for that sort of thing, but it doesn't do double duty as a thickening agent like the other two can. Also, coconut flour has weird absorption properties and requires a lot more liquid to balance it.

I think if I was going to pick only one, I'd go with tapioca.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    if i had to pick one, i would go with tapioca too. i wouldnt dredge squid in flour either. i would just pan fry in butter. i stuff squid tubes with brill, which is a flat fish and bake them. then make a cheese sauce to go with it with cheese, herbs and garlic. i use tapioca to thicken cheese sauces. i try to avoid baking but if i did do more, i would go with coconut and thicken my other sauces with eggs or do a reduction.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    have used a mix of tapioca flour and grated romano cheese to "oven-fry" stuff like artichoke hearts and avocado slices. haven't tried it for deep-frying yet since i do it so rarely.

you can also mix tapioca flour and coconut flakes to coat stuff like chicken and shrimp.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all so much for your input!

I'm not a big fried food eater, but I do miss fried squid. The tentacles in particular, when fried, remind me of big cruncy spiders. I'm not going to eat it fried every time because I love it chilled in a salad and I love it with tomatoes or tomato sauce, but I do want the option.