Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chewing Gum Anyone? page

frugaldad is offline Junior Member

Chewing Gum Anyone?

Primal Fuel
    Looking for opinions on chewing gum after lunch. I enjoy the usual low carb meal on my lunch break, but don't want to scare others in the office, so I usually grab a piece of "sugar free" gum (Trident White, to be exact).

The gum only has 1 carb (1 sugar alcohol) per piece, but it's the sweet flavor I'm concerned with. Mark's mentioned something similar wrt to diet drinks - the rush of artificially sweetened flavors triggers your brain in the same way real sugar does.

Of course, I realize Grok didn't chew gum, but then again he didn't have to attend meetings, give presentations in a small conference room, etc.

Should I worry, or not sweat it?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Sweet tastes cause an insulin surge separate from that which occurs because of rises in blood sugar. It's not enormous, but if you're trying to lose some particularly stubborn weight, regular consumption of noncaloric sweeteners could be holding you back.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    My naturalist told me if I had to chew gum, chew regular old fasioned gum that doesn't have artifcial sweetners
    Last edited by fillyone; 04-08-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: 'cause I can't type
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

If it's ketosis breath you're worried about, try a cup of mint tea. It freshens your breath and stimulates bile secretion to help you digest those lovely fats you just ate.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    There are some natural herbal breath fresheners that shoudn't have any carbs, look for stuff made with clove, and peppermint oil.

A pinch of fennel seeds like they do after meals in some parts of India is also nice.

frugaldad is offline Junior Member
    Good suggestions, thanks. And not so much ketosis breath...more like tuna, onions and celery breath. I'll look for more natural breath fresheners.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Tuna Onion Breath! ROFL

verdilak is offline Member
    I would go with peppermint oil if you are concerned about your breath after eating, plus peppermint oil will help settle any stomach issues that you may incur due to what you eat.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

beeface is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i will always chew gum keeps me from snacking. dont care
    whatever. if i drink tea, i just get bloated and fuller.
    yuck. gum works. havent gained a lb from it!
    i say go ahead, plus xylitol is good for your teeth and gums, said my dentist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast