Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What methods do you use to become happy? page 4

MeatMaker is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    +1000 to yoga. Do you live near an ocean or large lake? Get a winter wetsuit and swim. I get a lot of joy out of people viewing me as crazy when I head out on my surfboard in the snow. Oh and piano? Take that classical training and learn to boogie. Try Tipitina by New Orleans great Professor Longhair, or anything by Marcia Ball.

Find a kid (niece, nephew, friend's kid), put on Yakkety Sax (the Benny Hill theme) and chase them around the house maniacally. My 4 year old loves this and I usually lose my breath from laughter. Avoid doing this with children you don't know...that behavior is generally frowned upon. Watch some Louis CK clips on youtube, particularly the one where he discusses his plan to improve the gene pool by reintroducing lions into the mall.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Any specific pieces that come to mind?
    For me, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 3.

I also recommend Saint-Saens' Symphony No 3, otherwise known as the Organ Symphony.

IMO, Saint-Saens is by far the most under-rated of classical composers. I find the finale of the Organ Symphony very powerful and rousing, and it has some lovely subtle bucolic interludes. Wonderful interplay between the different sections of the orchestra:

Sinfonia No. 3 de Saint-SaŽns. 4to mov - Finale - YouTube
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    I think about when I left religion to become a free thinker and being content with not knowing all the answers. Plus some awesome music.

That's just me.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Years ago I just decided to be happy. Whenever I get irritated or depressed about something, I acknowledge the feeling and then decide not to feel that way. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but in general, just "deciding" to not feel the negative emotion works for me. I think a good part of it is acknowledging the negative emotion--once I recognize it, I find it easier to dismiss it.

I have a wonderful life now, but I haven't always. My original father was alcoholic and physically abusive, and my first husband was emotionally abusive and slept around with multiple women in the short time we were married. It was during this marriage that I decided I wasn't going to allow someone else to determine my mood, and I decided then that I wasn't going to be depressed about it. Sure, I had times when it was hard to deal with the emotions, but once I recognized them, I could change how I felt.

Everything is temporary. Let go of the negative things and the positive will replace it.
    + 1

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Liver. Eat moar liver.
    I need to do this!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by sarasue624; 11-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    For me, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No 3.

I also recommend Saint-Saens' Symphony No 3, otherwise known as the Organ Symphony.

IMO, Saint-Saens is by far the most under-rated of classical composers. I find the finale of the Organ Symphony very powerful and rousing, and it has some lovely subtle bucolic interludes. Wonderful interplay between the different sections of the orchestra:

Sinfonia No. 3 de Saint-SaŽns. 4to mov - Finale - YouTube
    I am a huge fan of Saint-Saens, but I always thought he was a purely orchestra sort of deal, or at least with duets (back when I was in orchestra in high school....long time ago!) I looked up some pieces and looks like they have translated some things into piano. Will look into those. Thanks!

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    My mom was a concert pianist (she died last April). As a child, I used to lay under her grand piano when she practiced. (I can still draw what the underside of grand piano looks like by heart!) One of my Chopin favorites that she used to play was Nocturne in C# Minor.
    Aw, I am sorry to hear that. It truly is a beautiful piece to remember her by.

It's interesting that you mention it because I played it for my school mentor's wife, who used to play piano prior to getting ill.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I'm laughing, not because you are dealing with life, but because my daughters take piano, and some of their current faves would probably induce depression...!

Second (daughter): currently madly in love with Chopin's Funeral March and the movie music from Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" (but then, my Second LOVES darker stuff, and if you knew her forceful personality, you would know that it suits her)

First (daughter): Bella's Lullaby (by Carter Burwell) from the movie "Twilight", movie music from the Christopher Reeve "Superman" movies, and Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

Otherwise, seriously, I have had clinical depression, and I can only commend you for seeking inspiration - depression ain't fun and it can get serious.

I'm more extroverted - I'll chat anybody up at the drop of a hat - but I'm not much of an exercise enthusiast, and what I have noticed is that it is extremely important to move the body. Do you have a kick-ass indoor pool or indoor water park nearby?? We go to the Kalahari Water Park (Ohio) in February and it is awesome to be inside in a swimsuit having a fake tropical vacation whilst watching the snow fall on the glass... and they sell day-passes so you don't have to spend the money to get a room at the hotel. Building snowmen under the outdoor lights at 10 p.m. in the snow (wearing warm snowsuits, of course) is my daughters' favorite winter activity. Back in NJ, I used to tap dance - and I got to be in the dance school recital and all!

Laughing, as mentioned, is worth more than gold. Nothing like some crude, rude, somewhat x-rated, kids-on-the-other-side-of-the-house comedy routine. Last one we heard was Jeff Dunham.

Working with your hands is good. Do you do any art, crafts, shop-class, stuff??

I like cultural events, followed by a good meal. Art exhibitions, ballets, community theater, concerts, the works!

And charity work. Once, back when I was sliding into my most awful stage, a church elder told me to go help someone to get over myself. Well, his timing was as horrid as possible and he didn't recognize depression when it asked him for help (what I really needed was super-doses of anti-depressant, which I later got - the depression got almost dangerous...), but now that I am better and off of the meds, helping those stuck in really bad places always makes me feel better. Not because they are suffering, but because I did something to help a fellow human.

You could always visit me over at my journal-place. I am always up to something stupid, and it should be good for a giggle or two here and there .

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    Bacon.
    Winner!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234