Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What methods do you use to become happy? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what is causing the depression.

Vitamin D (and sunlight if you can get it), fresh air, movement, just getting outside usually help me. Going to a coffeehouse or bookstore and just reading sometimes helps me. Liver for sure is always good.

It's hard to go hiking in the rain but whenever I'm already hiking and get caught out in the rain it turns out really fun. Sometimes when it's one of those windy days with light, sporadic rain, I go for a run outside and it's exhilarating. Basically doing something opposite of what seems like the right thing to do (stay indoors where it's comfortable).

I'm new to lifting heavy weights and I'm finding that it really makes me super happy.

A long slow run (about an hour) also makes me happy.

If my depression is psychological sometimes it helps to talk to people. I had a lot of luck with Al-Anon in the past. Sometimes it is helpful to help other people with worse problems than you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Thank you everybody for your suggestions. It actually made me happy that so many people in this community were nice enough to offer their advice. So thank you

Will take some of those suggestions into consideration. I am naturally pretty inverted, so I think just watching some comedy shows or reading a good book will help to take my mind off things. Am already taking Vitamin D supplementation, and eat liver on a weekly basis. I already exercise and am not *that* huge of an animal person, but I'll try the faking + talking to myself every day to see if it makes me feel better. Going hiking just reminds me of what I lost, so probably won't do that...plus it's rainy here anyway. Maybe I'll also focus on learning a new piece on the piano....(any suggestions? )

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Maybe I'll also focus on learning a new piece on the piano....(any suggestions? )
    what's your current skill level for piano? and what kind of music do you usually play?

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    what's your current skill level for piano? and what kind of music do you usually play?
    I was classically trained for 5 years. I haven't played in a while, but the last piece I worked on was Rachmaninoff's Prelude in g minor. I enjoy Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, and Debussy, but I also like Bach. I tried to play "Call Me Maybe" and it was lame as hell.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I was classically trained for 5 years. I haven't played in a while, but the last piece I worked on was Rachmaninoff's Prelude in g minor. I enjoy Rachmaninoff, Gershwin, and Debussy, but I also like Bach. I tried to play "Call Me Maybe" and it was lame as hell.
    ah, so if it's classical, i think you should take all your negative feelings and put them into the music. rachmaninoff and beethoven are great, but i think you should take Chopin out for a spin...he's easy to get lost in (listening to him, anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    ah, so if it's classical, i think you should take all your negative feelings and put them into the music. rachmaninoff and beethoven are great, but i think you should take Chopin out for a spin...he's easy to get lost in (listening to him, anyway)
    Any specific pieces that come to mind?

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    My mom was a concert pianist (she died last April). As a child, I used to lay under her grand piano when she practiced. (I can still draw what the underside of grand piano looks like by heart!) One of my Chopin favorites that she used to play was Nocturne in C# Minor.

Learn that one and think of my mom, who was a wonderful lady!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Make a list of good things, things to be grateful for.

For example, when having your lunch, be grateful that you live in the developed world, that these foods are accessible to you and that you have the sense to eat this well. When with friends and family, be grateful for the fact you have them, by your side, when needed. If you fall over and are uninjured, be grateful for your luck and health. If it's nice and sunny, be grateful for sunlight!

Take in every second that works out. If it went well, focus on it, enjoy it. If it didn't go well, make a mental note on how to avoid it in the future and move on. Really live every second of ANYTHING that's going well.

No one thing can make you happy. Many things combined will make you happy and almost everyone has a few things that are going well in their lives. But you need to notice them.
    For example, right now, this very second, I'm happy. It's Reading Week at uni, some family is visiting, I've had a yummy coffee with milk and butter which came out JUST right and I'm relaxing, enjoying messing around online after a day of walking and carrying heavy weights. Those four things are the main reasons I'm happy. And, now I look at them, they're not all that significant. But I'm focusing on them and enjoying every second. It's all about the attitude.

Fresh air and walking always help me when I'm feeling down. The people who said "Fake it till you make it" are right! When you are feeling blah, try smiling. Seriously! Not sure all the science behind it, but the act of smiling actually signals your mind to believe you are happy. It's bizarre, but it works for me. There's a blog I read called The Happiness Project, by Gretchin Rubin. She researches and writes about happiness, and has some really great insights that have helped me in my daily life.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Years ago I just decided to be happy. Whenever I get irritated or depressed about something, I acknowledge the feeling and then decide not to feel that way. It doesn't work 100% of the time, but in general, just "deciding" to not feel the negative emotion works for me. I think a good part of it is acknowledging the negative emotion--once I recognize it, I find it easier to dismiss it.

Everything is temporary. Let go of the negative things and the positive will replace it.
    +1. This is a very simple technique but can be very powerful.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast