Thread: Lean Gains Low Carbs page

drnemer is offline Member

Lean Gains Low Carbs

Shop Now
    I want to do lean gains but primal low carb. It is easier for me.

I am thinking about less 90 grams of carbs on rest days and between 100-150 carbs on workout days.

I workout about 4 times a week.

Can i lose fat and gain muscle doing lean gains this way?

If you wondering my calculated calories on rest days are 1500. on workout days 2200

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    As a huge fan of leangains and being primal, I'd say that your answer totally depends on your current state and as well as your goals. If you have a lot of weight to lose then I'd recommend focusing on that first. Losing fat happens faster with a large calorie deficit and building muscle requires more calories. Leangains is more about getting lean then adding muscle than gaining a lot of muscle while you're losing weight.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    As a huge fan of leangains and being primal, I'd say that your answer totally depends on your current state and as well as your goals. If you have a lot of weight to lose then I'd recommend focusing on that first. Losing fat happens faster with a large calorie deficit and building muscle requires more calories. Leangains is more about getting lean then adding muscle than gaining a lot of muscle while you're losing weight.
    Agreed. While I like Martin's approach, and especially his lack of fear mongering regarding fasting, I do think he oversells things a bit.

I do think that it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat concurrently, but that requires your diet and activity patterns to be, for all intents and purposes, perfectly dialed in. Realize that you are essentially asking your body to be selectively catabolic, which is pretty darn tough.

In practice, one generally misses the mark, and this translates into unintentional alternating periods of catabolism and anabolism. Over time, this has become the prevailing, if not recommended, approach. Bodybuilders, for instance, alternate bulk and cut cycles precisely due to the difficulty in doing both simultaneously.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    leangains, as a lifestyle, is not for me. as a specific targeted approach, to achieve a one-time goal, it works very well.

but it's a very, very specific program, not just a template. so my answer to your question would be, no, or at least your mileage may vary.

feel free to cycle your macros and calories, mix in IF, or anything else. but leangains is a specific protocol.

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Too many carbs IMO. Might be keeping you out of ketosis. Lower your carbs, get fat adapted, and you will get the results you want.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    Too many carbs IMO. Might be keeping you out of ketosis. Lower your carbs, get fat adapted, and you will get the results you want.
    exactly my opinion. I got ketosis plateau recently because my leptin was real low so i added a carb cycle once a week. I am fine with that but i honestly am fat adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post

I am pretty lean. I am have been cutting by eating less calories and carbs for a month now after a summer of clean bulking ( i tried to avoid getting pudgy).

Now I am at the point where I feel like I want to aim for the six pack. I have it now but it is not quite as deep as i want it to be. I want to be more ripped. so I heard great things about leangains.

If i go to a phase of building muscle but on leangains formula would I be able to recomposition my body for further fat loss and muscle growth? Cause that is my goal. I want my skin to be tighter around the muscles so they are seen more.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatlesFan View Post
    you're not familiar with leangains.