Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you keep track of your progress? page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It seems some people write what they did and some what they plan to do.

I think my "to do" will be whatever I did last time and then my entry will be whatever I did do, which will hopefully be more than last time (unless I was unreasonable last time, which I was.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Whatever makes it easier for you to progress is a great thing so I'd definitely recommending sticking with whatever works for you. I'm always surprised at the number of people who strictly track their workouts though - it's not something that I've ever done religiously. If I'm timing a conditioning workout then I might record it but I always know exactly what my main lift numbers are at any one time. Remembering 5 or so numbers isn't exactly tough.

I would say that beginners (and even more advanced peeps) should be wary about placing too much emphasis on numerical tracking. I train to feel great, be able to do the activities that I love and avoid injury and illness. So I track my progress relative to those things and not numerical progression (which is rarely an exact science anyway).

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Heh. I'm a grad student and research nerd. I like collecting and analyzing data

Fortunately I'm into qualitative methodologies, so I like looking at trends and patterns more than individual numbers. I'm not going to get hung up on a bad day at the gym, but if that becomes an ongoing trend I like being able to identify why. That's how I figured out I needed to eat more carbs, for example. And I am really bad at remembering my current 1RM.

I think a lot of it is personal style.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm just someone who can't remember. Did I do 5 last time or 6? I want to do better than last time so it helps to remember.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Smartphone app "Strong" is pretty good. I've been using the Stronglifts5x5 app for a while and so I'm continuing, but Strong lets you create your own workouts, add your own exercises, record sets and repetitions, as well as adding notes for the workout if you need to.

I'm not making a very strong endorsement, I guess, since I don't even really use it, but I'm just too lazy to start using a new program when my history and future plans are all already in the other one. At one point I was setting it up to record my CC training, but then got busy and didn't get back to it.

TATER1000 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I printed out a weekly calendar from Microsoft Outlook and layed out my workout by the week on that. For next year I have a cheap weekly planner to do the same thing. I write out what the exercise is and what the # of reps and sets, then I also write what I actually do. I also track weekly weight, chest and waist measurements.
    try Fitday.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123