Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep track of your progress? page 2

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't keep track on paper. I just try to push a little bit more each lifting workout. Except on the days that I go light. I only do 4 exercises so I remember what weight I am at. Once 3 or 4 sets feels good I add a 2.5 plate and take a couple weeks to get it feeling good. Like first day I will do last set with extra weight. Next day do last two sets. Till I am comfortable with that weight. Once it feels OK to do 4 reps at that weight but I don't feel ready to go up in weight I will do 6 or 8 reps instead. And then for some reason I have to take some time off and have to go back and do it again Seems to be what I do. One of these days I'll have a long enough run at it to reallly improve... On the light days I just back off and work on better form.

Every time I have tried to document either exercise or food intake, it last a day or two and I quit. Just not my way I guess. Some people need it though.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm like that, too. I usually don't keep up any kind of documentation for anything and any attempts usually end in me quitting after a try or two. But I'm finding that if I don't write down what I did, my memory fails me. Did I do all 8 reps last time or did I fail at 6? What weight did I try last time? I forget. Maybe after a while the progress won't be so fast and it'll be way easier to remember.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I find it helps to have my book with me at the gym and write stuff down as I do it. Most of the serious lifters at my gym do the same. If I try to recall later when I get home, I can't remember stuff and usually forget to write down anything at all.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    I use the notepad app on my iPhone as a running record and workout ideas page. I always have it w me!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I create a doc with my program on it. I keep three days between work days so I can track to her activities like sprinting long walks biking climbing etc. Three days is the MAX between working days.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Three days is the MAX between working days.
    +1

Planning ahead makes a big difference. I currently lift every other day. I know what my main lift and accessory work will be. It saves me a lot of time messing around in the gym figuring out what to do, and even if I don't really feel like doing squats walking in, if it's squat day I squat (barring injury or serious illness of course).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I printed out a weekly calendar from Microsoft Outlook and layed out my workout by the week on that. For next year I have a cheap weekly planner to do the same thing. I write out what the exercise is and what the # of reps and sets, then I also write what I actually do. I also track weekly weight, chest and waist measurements.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    +1

Planning ahead makes a big difference. I currently lift every other day. I know what my main lift and accessory work will be. It saves me a lot of time messing around in the gym figuring out what to do, and even if I don't really feel like doing squats walking in, if it's squat day I squat (barring injury or serious illness of course).
    +1

You have to hit those big lifts if you are going to gain and too many lifters I know avoid certain lifts, or let lifts they are not fond of slide. Having the program set also means that you can see progression which becomes a good positive feed back cycle.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Exactly. I believe that if you don't keep track at all, then you have no way to look back and see what worked, what didn't, and how you're progressing.

Owly's Journal

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Excel. Each week I make a plan (i.e. days/types of cardio, lifting, polymetrics, pushups, pullups, etc.). I track some movements to see the progress: bench, deadlifts, squats, pushups, pullups.

I wish I had the time and resources to track everything to fully understand my optimal regime. Calories & water consumption, sleep, weight, fat %, lifting schedule, cardio metrics (heart rate, calories burned, resting time).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast