Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Primal and have a question page 2

JohnOTD is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurel730 View Post
    I am starting the primal diet, this is my first week and I really want to know what i could eat if I will be exercising or hiking? or how much i should eat
    From what I've read, this varies from person to person. Many people say they get their best workouts in a fasted state and I can speak from experience that you get some great energy while fasted. Others prefer protein before or after a workout.

If you will be hiking and want something to nibble on while you hike, I'd suggest jerky (which is all lean meat). If it will be long term hiking, like trekking and/or camping, make sure you add some fat into your diet. Check out pemmican (I'm on my work computer and I don't have my bookmarks, nor do I feel like hunting down links... sorry :/ ). It's basically 1:1 lean:fat. Dehydrate some lean meat and shred it up really well; render some tallow (fat) and then mix it in a ratio of 1:1.

The Native Americans used this (using buffalo meat) and from what I've read, it is nutritionally complete. Basically you could eat this, drink water, consume nothing else, and have a complete diet and no deficiencies.

How much should you eat? When you feel like eating, eat until you're satisfied (which is not the same thing as 'full'/'stuffed').
    www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

Laurel730 is offline Member
    thank you, straightforward and simple

Laurel730 is offline Member
    I been wondering, is sprouted bread called genesis bread by food for life ok once in a while? Or should it be forbidden? It's flourless.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Laurel, I would avoid it, but it is 1000X better than regular bread. If you need carbs, try tubers.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    The subjects in that study were all obese. Tell those of us who have 10-15 pounds left to lose that we can do it eating above maintenance on fat and protein and you'll get some heavy disagreements. The body really does not want to be obese, so when it is fed properly, it will shed fat. However, in terms of living in the wild, carrying around 15 extra pounds could be very beneficial in lean times, so lean times must be simulated in order to lose it.
    Where can I find out more on this?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckgrl View Post
    Thanks for the replies :-)

seems a little freaky to eat that much fat. After doing the math I have come up with this:

I have a lean body mass of 104lbs.
    Active with my 2 young kids but not really a lot of the time for the gym or 2 hour hikes. So I went with the 0.7grams of protein/lb of lean body mass.
    I am aiming for 1500 calories/day to lose about 6 lbs/month

so does this sounds correct:
    511 calories from protein (73g/34%)
    200 calories from carbs (50g/13%)
    789 calories from fat (87g/52%)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Not bad, but I would have added a more fat and maybe lowered amount of carbs.

A general thumb rule to various macros could be 2/1/0,5 times body weight. For me weighing 82 kg that is 160 grams fat, 82 grams protein and 40 grams carbohydrates each day. To control fat loss, lower amount of carbohydrate and increase lost amount of energy by eating more fat.

Given my weight above:

Fat 1440 kcal (~74%)
    Protein 328 kcal (~18%)
    Carbohydrates 160 kcal (~8%)

Total 1928 kcal.

So, if you feel that you're lacking energy with so little kcal each day, up the amount of fat to say, 200 grams adding additional 360 kcal. This is for a day of very low activity. Also, if you add fat your body will spend some time with futile cycles. Look it up.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-17-2010 at 07:43 AM.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

canuckgrl is offline Member
    Thanks Sungrazer :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12