Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Horizon Fasting Method? page

AlanC is offline Senior Member

BBC Horizon Fasting Method?

Primal Fuel
    I actually found the documentary after it was mentioned on here somewhere but was wondering if you PB's have tried it and how it went?

In short it seems to be a matter of "fasting" for 2 days a week but where the fast consists of very low calories, rather than none at all. In the program he seems to do very well on around 600 calories a day during his fasting days.

Eat, Fast & Live Longer (BBC Horizon Documentary). 720p - YouTube

The 'potato diet' seemed to work OK for me for 2 or 3 days. This seems to be the same kind of thing but without the restriction to spud starches, instead just restricting calories.

Sez you lot?

AC

zilog is offline Senior Member
    this thread on another forum I frequent discusses peoples' experiences:

Horizon 'fasting' diet/lifestyle 3.5 weeks in... updates Singletrack Forum

Thanks for that zilog.

Many posters on there seem to be confusing it with the 16/8 IF thing but it generally does seem quite hopeful...

Cheers

AC

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Eh, if you're going to chronically under consume calories, might as well go all out and get the benefits of autophagy too.

Explain DR?

AC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    My understanding from seeing the BBC video was that the bloodwork results of the 72 (or 70) hour fast were replicated in five weeks of the 5/2 fast. If that is a repeatable outcome, the 5/2 fast may be a more sustainable/doable thing for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    Explain DR?

AC
    Intake of nutrients in any form, even antioxidants from coffee and tea have been shown to block the effects of autophagy from occurring.

Edit: http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs....070187.002543

There it links total nutrient deprivation to increased incidences of beneficial autophagy.

Edit again: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/96/4/E633.full

If I'm reading this right, it says that nutrient intake of any kind is one of the most potent INHIBITORS of autophagy.

So, in conclusion, if autophagy is one of the REASONS for going on a fast, then intake of nutrients sort of defeats the purpose. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 11-01-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Those studies appear to be about treatment of ill people, whereas I'm primarily looking to lose weight.

Well that's my excuse for not reading them in depth anyway

And as Joaniel points out, according to the TV program he was getting the same general results as you'd expect from hard fasting in just a few weeks of regular 2/5 low cals, not zero cals.

Ultimately what I like about this primal thing is how it just makes simple sense. You don't need to get into the nitty gritty or learn any Latin, just eat good quality natural and nutritious food, avoiding the processed crap pretending it's food. Otherwise you just get swamped with too much "information", much of it contradictory.

I'm tired of reading how X gives you cancer, then how X cures cancer, then how a combination of X and Y will make you live longer, then reading how Y is linked with heart attacks...

It's just ridiculous, and much of it stems from the fact it's effectively impossible to perform truly scientific studies that use real people. Humans have various natural rights we can't legally or morally infringe, they have their own preferences, they don't always tell the truth, they often lie to please people in white coats, they have unreliable memories anyway, they don't really know the nutritional values of what they eat, have hugely variable activity levels and they're incredibly good at compensating for anything you do to 'em.

As such I'm hoping to keep it simple - have you tried this, if so, what were your results?

AC

I have been an avid faster doing a 20-22 hour fast almost daily, and packing in all of my calories in one meal. Just feels right to me. No snacking or anything at all during the day.

I have attempted longer fasts as well, doing 48-72 hour fasts before. I don't do those very often, maybe once a month or so just to see if I am still capable of it. When I do, I keep it calorie free for sure. I may supplement with some electrolytes by the end of day two just to keep my fluid levels and muscle function in check, but they are calorie free and that's usually the only thing I'll use. That's because one time I did a three day fast with no electrolytes and almost had to go to the hospital because my levels were so low! Otherwise, I'm pretty strict about it. So no, no experience with the above fasting method you describe, but LOTS of experience with fasting in general.

By the way, whatever type of fast you are attempting, being fully fat adapted is recommended to enhance the benefits.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well I probably am already fat adapted, as I've been following a low-carb high-protein regimen for years. It's because it was no longer working and the pounds were creeping on that I started looking for something more effective (especially after gaining even more from quitting smoking...)

I love the concept of primal but found the entire 21 day challenge barely moved my scales, partly because there was very little change from what I was doing anyway. Main difference is I've now cut out legumes, such as the small can of reduced-sugar baked beans I'd get through almost every day

Hacks such as IF appeal to me BUT I know during the day, especially while pondering on a client's work (I'm an advert' writer) I get the urge to snack and nibble. That's 10X worse since the quit smoking thing!

The potato thing worked for me because I could munch spuds with various different spices and stuff. My concern, and why I only did it for 3 days, was the lack of nutrients, including low protein.

The TV program showed how you could eat normally, just drastically reduced calories. So, back to the old "cut calories, that's all you need" thing? Well as an ex bodybuilder I already know that just starving yourself doesn't work, as the body adapts, eats its own muscles and clings onto every scrap of food it can get by cravings, triggering binge-eating and fat storage...

But being only 'somewhat starved' for just 2 days a week? Eating nutritious grub, not just taters?

That seems easy to do and the programme made it seem both healthy and slimming. Combine that with fasted-state morning exercise and I'm starting to feel confident about getting back a 6 pack I haven't seen for over 10 years

If you haven't seen the prog' it's worth watching, link above.

For me though, the idea of fasting all day until the evening? That's a non-starter. Heck, I'd probably end up smoking again or something... I already get through 5 or 6 cups of coffee as it is.

Can you imagine? No cigarettes, no coffee and no nibbles, for 18 hours?

Prison or worse, less than a week, fo' sho

AC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast