Thread: Specific Training page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Specific Training

Shop Now
    Could you all provide me with any specific tips for training my jumping and climbing abilities? I live parkour and climbing in general, and I'd like to incorporate some specific training ideas to help progress in those two areas.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the best way to train for jumping and climbing is to jump and climb. but, if you're looking for movements to add to your workouts, here are a few i would consider:
    jump squats
    jumping lunges
    box jumps
    precision jumps
    uneven and multi-grip pull ups
    wall/rope/tree climbs
    bear crawls

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    the best way to train for jumping and climbing is to jump and climb. but, if you're looking for movements to add to your workouts, here are a few i would consider:
    jump squats
    jumping lunges
    box jumps
    precision jumps
    uneven and multi-grip pull ups
    wall/rope/tree climbs
    bear crawls
    +1

Its all about the plyometrics!! I would aso add

press-ups, clapping press ups and levitating press ups to the mix to build uperbody explosive strength and also

Planck (all variations) to work on core,

broad jumps to work on horizontal jumping distance.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Yuppers. Though pullups and chinups are great, don't forget to work the chest. Weight lifters have noticed that when you train the back, it helps your bench grow stronger. I would assume that you might see improvements in your pullups if you work the chest.

I'd go for very low rep training though, with high weights. You probably want to minimize your mass increase as much as possible. Most of the climbers I know say that adding mass, even with increased strength, is counter productive.

--Me

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    I'd go for very low rep training though, with high weights. You probably want to minimize your mass increase as much as possible. Most of the climbers I know say that adding mass, even with increased strength, is counter productive.
    the mass thing makes tons of sense, but i feel like that is more diet. i would think that higher reps would be good for things like parkour (never really tried) and climbing (haven't been in a little while) because of the muscular endurance. i'm not disagreeing, so much as i am curious. i recently moved to a small city, and wouldn't mind giving parkour a try. i also just started convict conditioning which has high-ish reps for body weight exercises. it seems like a good approach to train for these kinds of activities, but i may not know enough in the area of climbing up sides of buildings.

TheTeddy is offline Member
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I'll put plyometrics into my workouts. Also, off topic, but, what should I do about sprints during rainy seasons?

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Run in the rain
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    1- Jump and climb. 2- Strength train.

Two totally different objectives. Get stronger and you should be able to jump and climb better. Practice the skill and you should be able to jump and climb better.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The other part of parkour that no one has mentioned is the endurance, especially muscular endurance. Sometimes you will need to do long, grinding, awful workouts to build/maintain endurance. Increasing strength is necessary, but a higher level of endurance will help you have longer, more effective practice sessions before you're too tired to have good technique.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    To climb better you need to climb. Strength plays a part but technique gets you there in the end.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!