Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark under eye circles page

nixxy is offline Senior Member

Dark under eye circles

Primal Fuel
    Hello! All is good in primal land here but I have a superficial issue that has bothered me for years that I was really hoping would eventually get better...

And that would be dark under eye circles.

I am not fully european, so my skin tone isn't the "normal", and I have always blamed it on that. However I also have always (traditionally) had low iron, so have wondered about that as well. Since going primal, my last bloodtest said my iron levels are in range for the first time in probably 5 or 6 years!

I drink lots of water MOST of the time. Sometimes I have a day where I just don't want much water randomly, but otherwise I'm up around 2L, sometimes around 2.5L.

I assume the colour under your eyes can be affected by your blood, seeing as the skin there is very thin?

Does anyone know of any other deficiencies or dietary things that could be contributing to this? I have done some googling and research over the years but the usual recommendation is for stupid skincare products, which I'd rather avoid.
    Any anecdotal experience anyone has had with this issue and what helped would also be great

I know it's a stupid thing to be concerned about but it's just one of my hang ups!
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi Nixxy, how are you my girl ????
    Sometimes a lack of sleep for a long time can contribute to dark circles, and It might take a long time to come right. Also - you have lost alot of weight - could it be shadows, or sunken eyes because of your weight loss ??? This also I would think will get better with time?
    Just some thoughts
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think that under eye darkness is gorgeous. Learn how to do a smoky eye and play it up. Unless it's a sign of unhealth. Then I guess you should address it.

I guess I have this dichotomy in my thinking. On the one hand, I believe in a healthful lifestyle. On the other, I find black haired, skinny assed, over made-up people who live decadent lifestyles just gorgeous beyond words.

I be troubled. heh.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Hi Nixxy, how are you my girl ????
    Sometimes a lack of sleep for a long time can contribute to dark circles, and It might take a long time to come right. Also - you have lost alot of weight - could it be shadows, or sunken eyes because of your weight loss ??? This also I would think will get better with time?
    Just some thoughts
    G
    Hey gwamma hehe.
    Hmm good suggestions. Sleep does help them but I actually almost sleep too much! My normal is like 9 hours a night. If I didn't set an alarm I'd be sleeping easily 10 hours a night, even 11. There have been a few occasions on weekends, usually after lifting lots of heavy things, where I've slept over 12 hours!
    So I don't think I have had any kind of long term sleep deprivation... it happens occasionally but isn't the norm.

My eyes are quite "sunken" so the shadow effect really probably doesn't help but it's definitely the skin itself. I took a photo in full sunlight so there are no shadows....
    Attachment 9743

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Do you have allergies? I have dark circles under my eyes and it's from allergies. I'm working up to trying the GAPS Diet to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think that under eye darkness is gorgeous. Learn how to do a smoky eye and play it up. Unless it's a sign of unhealth. Then I guess you should address it.

I guess I have this dichotomy in my thinking. On the one hand, I believe in a healthful lifestyle. On the other, I find black haired, skinny assed, over made-up people who live decadent lifestyles just gorgeous beyond words.

I be troubled. heh.
    Hahah! Interesting perspective. It is usually the darker skinned girls who have problem... I don't know if I've ever thought it was attractive though, to me it looks like people are tired or ill!

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Do you have allergies? I have dark circles under my eyes and it's from allergies. I'm working up to trying the GAPS Diet to see if that helps.
    Yes I do.
    How do you know your dark circles are from allergies?

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Hey Nixxy, I have the same issue as you - my whole life. It was one of those things that I hoped would get better with primal but it hasn't. My sleep hygiene is good, and has been for some time now - my diet is pretty good and i'm embarking on a Whole 30 this month.

I've looked into Chinese medicine (from Rob Wolf's suggestion), that the dark eyes could stem from kidney issues and adrenal fatigue. Tried some adaptogen supplementation (Tulsi, holy basil), which usually treats stress rekated disorders. I really don't think I have adrenal fatigue - I have none of the symptoms besides the under eye circles, but I tried the tulsi anyway. Didn't help (although I only took it for a short period of time).

I don't have the money to be going to a herbal/chinese practitioner to try and find another answer, although I'd love them to be gone. I really feel you pain.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosejuggler View Post
    Hey Nixxy, I have the same issue as you - my whole life. It was one of those things that I hoped would get better with primal but it hasn't. My sleep hygiene is good, and has been for some time now - my diet is pretty good and i'm embarking on a Whole 30 this month.

I've looked into Chinese medicine (from Rob Wolf's suggestion), that the dark eyes could stem from kidney issues and adrenal fatigue. Tried some adaptogen supplementation (Tulsi, holy basil), which usually treats stress rekated disorders. I really don't think I have adrenal fatigue - I have none of the symptoms besides the under eye circles, but I tried the tulsi anyway. Didn't help (although I only took it for a short period of time).

I don't have the money to be going to a herbal/chinese practitioner to try and find another answer, although I'd love them to be gone. I really feel you pain.
    Argh! It's annoying huh. I am like 95% happy wearing no make up except for these darn circles, I feel like I always look tired.

After Urban Foragers comment I just went and did a quick search on allergies and dark circles and found some info about histamines causing dark circles and an opthalmologist who said dark eye circles can be a sign of your proneness to asthma and allergies... so it sounds like there's definitely a link.

How to stop histamine release though? I am allergic to everything. As far as I know, anti-histamine medication just stops the effects of histamines, it doesn't actually stop your body producing them... does anyone know if that is true, or of any other ways to stop histamines being released?

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    See now - I don't have any allergies (that I know of). Sigh, frustrating.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast