Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixed Martial Arts page 2

ryry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    btw,
    my training partners and I are eating around 50gms carbs a day.
    my averages for 6'1" 180lbs with the above schedule are
    150-200protein
    up to 50gms carbs on typical days but average is higher given 1 smaller refeed per week (100gms carbs)
    200-300gms fat with intake coming from organic butter, olive oil and coconut oil. also organic animal fats and heavy creme.
    lots of veg.
    i can fast for a day and then grapple for hours with no problems(im not advocating this).
    i could not have done this the first week. give yourself time to adapt.
    read up on low carb and increased sodium requirements..its night and day with your energy levels.

in general i wouldnt recommend low carb for any one who is already pretty lean and working really hard..too many variables to juggle.
    Last edited by ryry; 11-07-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add macronutrient info

ryry is offline Member
    side note: in another 3 weeks when we start phasing into lots of lactate/blasting/grinding work i will lower my fat intake considerably and be eating around 400+gms carbs per day i know from experience that i will still lose body fat during this phase but the total workloads will be considerable and nothing someone can tolerate year round.

ryry is offline Member
    update: average macro intake over seven weeks
    36year male
    183lbs
    under 10%body fat

carb: 65
    pro: 150
    fat:200

marked improvements in conditioning/strength and even lean mass gains (which i did not expect to see). as a matter of fact nearly all of the markers we use are up except for maybe limit strength (slow heavies) which we pretty much avoid as the payoff isnt worth the risk. power markers like sprints, vert, broad jump, 70-90% 1rm lifts (dynamic/reactive) abilities all up. obviously this is coming from great programming/training but im showing myself that it can be done. could i do it with a mixed or high carb diet? probably! ive done it plenty of times before. i also had to work a LOT harder to lose fat down to single digit ranges and definitely did not have the option of fueling off of fat/ not needing the carbs.

my training partner wrestles even more than i do (albeit at a much higher skill level so possibly less glycogen dependant..) and has gained a noticeable amount of muscle while losing body fat. scale weight has maintained at 147-153 but he is obviously more lean and more heavily muscled. we have not tried an actual cut (as per 24hour weigh in) but judging from post practice weights i will be able to cut to 175 and he will be able to cut to 140 without too much suffering

his averages are
    24 male
    under 10%body fat and steadily declining

carb: 50
    prot: 140
    fat:250

no problem maintaining energy levels as long as we strive to avoid high volumes of lactate work. most of our work is skill, drills, brief/high intensity and lots of work in aerobic (play) zones. the few times we have really turned it up in practices/workouts to more than twice a week (hard wrestling/grappling for 1.5-2.5 hours) we have both noticed decreases in overall energy levels. we didnt need the work, we were just experimenting. we have settled on 1 high intensity/lactate interval type practices/workouts per week. with the occasional 2 workouts at long, high intensity durations.

eating like this has been a disaster for the few people ive seen try to do it with really high training zones in the lactate realm (ie wrestling practice 5 days a week). i think this is why keto gets such a bad rap from athletes [they are not correctly programming their training].. too much intensity too often.
    Last edited by ryry; 11-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

ryry is offline Member
    we are currently NOT planning on phasing into a higher lactate training template. the gains are coming really easy right now and are in line with both of our goals.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I've fought MMA on VLC. You won't know if it works for you until you try it.

You are deflaming and detoxifying right now. Those processes take a lot of energy. That's energy you won't be able to use (for external purposes) for a couple more weeks when the deflame/detox machine has run out of targets. It's a study in kinetic and potential energy.

Stay the course and don't worry about eating lots of good carbs.

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've fought MMA on VLC. You won't know if it works for you until you try it.
    Me too. And other sustained exercise on VLC. It is just a different feeling, but fine if you are running on ketones for a while first.

russellester is offline Banned
    There are certain skills that you must learn if you want to increase your martial arts ability. Many of the combat aspects of the sport will require training partners to truly master.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12