Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Juicing? Really? page 4

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Where do you live that you can buy tumeric root??? I wish I could find fresh tumeric root!
    Its just sold in produce in my local Whole Foods! It is near the ginger-root in produce and looks like fat orange caterpillars.
    Little Saiyan

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeilaMiah View Post
    Hey gang!

Those of you who ARE juicing, make sure you are saving your veggie pulp! I posted in the recipe forum for Scrap Broth. I just made up a batch and WOW! Delish!
    BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! I kept thinking... what can I do with all of this pulp?? I don't have a compost set up... I am an AVID broth-maker... why didn't I think of this!? Thank you!
    Little Saiyan

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    agreed, great tip!

kindra is offline Banned
    Well...
    Juicing is a great source of fresh nutrition and energy. Juicing fruits that spike blood glucose levels may cause harm for people with certain disorders such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes or high cholesterol.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    The reason I prefer juicing is precisely because it eliminates the fiber, which has a tendency to bring on pain and bloating and inflammation for me. Juicing was a godsend while I was healing my IBS!
    I've just had a juicer delivered precisely for this reason - to avoid too much fibre.I used a juicer regularly until 3 years ago when I started this primal way of eating and read so many comments about eating the whole veg. Comments about how the fibre was important, how just juice causes sugar spikes etc and so I sold my juicer. And ate more veg and fruit whole. And had really bad iBS symptoms for years!

Now I'm planning to eat easy on the digestion veg such as squashes, white potatoes, root veg etc, and juice the ones which I've found aggravate IBS symptoms. So getting a wide range of nutrients and not the pernicious fibre! And I won't be turning the pulp into broth - it can feed my compost heap instead.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I like the juice, but I always feel like a complete idiot throwing away the grated parts. I tried baking carrots 'shreds' into the souffles, it works.

Thank you for the idea of the Scrap Broth! That is totally takes away the reluctance to make juice again. I would like to have fresh vegetable juice once a week. I bought kale last week, and so far we collectively ate about 2 stalks of it (I think that's one cabbage that we can't stand!), so the rest is gonna make juice!

EDIT: It just occurred to me how much I like creamed purred soups, so the veggie scraps from the juicer are already pureed, holy cow, why did not i see it before?
    Last edited by Leida; 11-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I like the juice, but I always feel like a complete idiot throwing away the grated parts. I tried baking carrots 'shreds' into the souffles, it works.

Thank you for the idea of the Scrap Broth! That is totally takes away the reluctance to make juice again. I would like to have fresh vegetable juice once a week. I bought kale last week, and so far we collectively ate about 2 stalks of it (I think that's one cabbage that we can't stand!), so the rest is gonna make juice!

EDIT: It just occurred to me how much I like creamed purred soups, so the veggie scraps from the juicer are already pureed, holy cow, why did not i see it before?
    I think it can't go without saying, that either you're going to throw the pulp/fiber/waste out, or, well, crap it out, so
    what's the difference from shoving it down the garbage disposal or putting it in a soup?

It's all going to sift down that 4000 miles of colon into the toity anyway.

HA!

I'm trying to be humorous.... not bitchy, but true!

I've been taking my pulp out and putting it around the roots of my tomato plants.

Even now with it being somewhat cold (37 is cold to me, but I know where you are Leida it's COLD COLD)
    in the morning, and the plants should have wilted and turned brown, they are CRAZY. Some are SO BUSHY
    and some are still getting new flowers! WHA? November? Huh?

Anyway, so, long story long, I don't feel bad about ditching my pulp, but I *am* going to try it in a soup
    one day anyway.

Julie

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, I have too much snow in the yard to get to the composter so I am not composting right now (I covered the yard clean up material with the soil from the planters and closed it off till spring).

The thing is, before you poop it out, it sure tastes like heaven! I like fibre & don't have digestive issues, heck I eat 2-3 cups of fresh cabbage with salt and vinegar daily & consider it a HUGE treat. I can eat veggies fresh, pickled, boiled, roasted and steamed, and any other way you can think of!

And Yo! Glad to see you!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234