Thread: Moving weights to get LEAN!! page

pirate13c is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Moving weights to get LEAN!!

Primal Fuel
    My first post, though I have been reading and enjoying this site for a while now. A little bit about me; I just began a low carb lifestyle Feb. '10. My boss was on another kick to lose weight and decided to start with the induction phase of Atkins. I'd never been on a diet before, but thought I would try it out with her, besides I had some extra pounds to lose after the holidays

Long story short after the initial carb flu I was really loving this new way of eating and the energy that came with it. Also lost about 10 pounds within the first two weeks. Since then I have been reading more and more and found MDA, which really makes sense to me. Yes Atkins works, but they really promote those shakes and bars with an ingredient list a mile long...looks like a lot of crap to me. Any way, I slowly have lost another 4 pounds over the past 2 months... I love eating this way, especially no counting... just eat when I'm hungry, and I feel great! While I'm not totally primal (I like my cheese) I'm pretty close.

Up until this point I have been a "chronic cardio" kind of gal. While I did incorporate sprinting into my workouts before MDA, I did a lot of long distance running, and swimming every day. I've got about 7-10lbs of fat to lose and it just won't seem to budge (that last little stubborn bit). This week I have committed to going to the gym 3 times a week to do squats, deadlifts, benchpress, pull-ups... etc. The 5x5 routine, with a sprint day mixed in there along the way.

So here is my question. From all I have read, this should make a big difference in my body composition, I know it will, but how quickly? Has this helped folks break out of a plateau? I would like to hear what other people's experience has been when suddenly switching from "chronic cardio" to lifting heavy things and sprinting. How long did it take to shed those last extra pounds? I'm almost there!!

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    When lifting weights, you should stick with it at least 6-8 weeks to see visible results. Don't give up! I switched from light lifting and a LOT of cardio (I was addicted to my stationary bike...) to a more Crossfit-based training program with a LOT of circuit training and a little bit of P90X here and there. I noticed results in about 4 weeks or so personally, but I think those changes came primarily from going paleo. If you're trying to lose additional weight, I'd suggest getting reeally tight about your diet for at least a month as well. Good luck!

ToniWA is offline Senior Member
    Agreed! Get yourself to closer to 90-95% and it'll be easier for your body to take advantage of the weight training. Forgive yourself if you stray, but hop back on the train and get going. I love my muscles and the way my clothes fit nowadays. I'm a true pear-shape and I'm winning the battle with those genes/jeans. Most of my friends have now felt my butt! "Touch it! It's hard!" Woohoo, I think you'll enjoy your new found strength which will only push you more towards a powerful, energized life.
    I noticed changes pretty quickly (within 2 weeks), but I only had maybe 8lbs to lose to get pretty lean. Everyone responds differently, but your body will respond!

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    I can totally relate to this post.. I'm also among the last 10 - 15 lbs club.. it has been a battle for a good while now. I've been lifting and exercising pretty steady for a good while now.. I'm hoping with strict adherance my new way of eating/living will finally get me to my ultimate goal of 10% or less body fat!!!

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Very good replies so far. People lose confidence in their workout program far too easily b/c they aren't seeing results now. It takes a little for your body to adjust so give it some patience and keep working out. Thats a very good idea of going 3 times per week to lift. The most important lift (in my mind) is the squat. By doing these you're releasing more endorphins into the blood stream which will make it easier to hit your weight loss/fitness goals in a more timely manner. Swimming would also be a great thing to maintain since it is no real resistance and a total body workout. I workout 5 times per week (3 in the gym. 1 is P90x and the other is dedicated to swimming - I can't sprint on a consistent basis yet but hopefully will soon). Also don't limit your workouts to just the time you spend in the gym.

when you're at work and bored do something physicals whether its standing squats with onyl body weight, stretching, push ups, some abs, etc. make working out in various places a part of your routine. It breaks up the day and gives you more energy throughout.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    I can relate to this alot. Im going from circuits and cardio for kick-boxing to wanting to get some muscles. Ive noticed some definition after a few weeks but I think its just due to going primal. If anyone can report their own rate of muscle gain? I read that you can expect to gain 2-4lbs body weight per month (assuming you aren't at your upper limit) but all i want is visible results! lol so vain

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    If anyone can report their own rate of muscle gain?
    I've gained 12 pounds in the last year -- and lost enough size that I had to buy new suits for work. I'm sure rate of gain, in pounds, varies a lot according to body size and gender. Perhaps percentages would be more useful?

I'm female, 5'3", and started strength training in March 2009, weighing 110 lbs. I was reasonably fit but had never done much in the way of bodyweight work (I started with bodyweight only, since I didn't own any iron). I now weigh 122 and have maybe 16-17% bodyfat.

That's a gain of 11% of my original bw in one year, or about a pound per month of muscle -- plus whatever fat weight was replaced with muscle -- and I only just got my barbell set in late December.

As for visible results? Yeah, got those too. I'm all for vanity, rockstar!

I wrote a blog series that contains the details of my program, if you're interested. It starts with a reader question, here: http://inthenightlife.blogspot.com/2...-workouts.html
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    Hey your blog its great, its cool to follow someone right from the begining! And the results are impresive!

So a couple of questions; what do you think of the 5X5 weights programe that is so highly recomended, I noticed you rotate through your weight exercises, whereas 5X% recomends focusing one at a time? I'm sure its not gonna make a massive difference just wodnered what you thought.

Also you went primal during the experience, how did you find the transition? I noticed you have 65-85 grams of carbs per day, thats impressive, I would've expected alot more considering the highly active pr[programme you were on?! I'm not measuring mine (still new) but I'm sure I eat double that but Im sure I'm doubling that just through eating fruit when I need energy!?

Thanks Barbey

pirate13c is offline Junior Member
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. Sometimes it is just good to hear of others who have started where I am and see how everything came together in the end. Off to the gym again today

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Hey your blog its great, its cool to follow someone right from the begining! And the results are impresive!

So a couple of questions; what do you think of the 5X5 weights programe that is so highly recomended, I noticed you rotate through your weight exercises, whereas 5X% recomends focusing one at a time? I'm sure its not gonna make a massive difference just wodnered what you thought.

Also you went primal during the experience, how did you find the transition? I noticed you have 65-85 grams of carbs per day, thats impressive, I would've expected alot more considering the highly active pr[programme you were on?! I'm not measuring mine (still new) but I'm sure I eat double that but Im sure I'm doubling that just through eating fruit when I need energy!?

Thanks Barbey
    Hey, thanks.

I rotate (or alternate, depending) among/between lifts mostly to save time. I can let one muscle group recover while working a different group. If I'm moving up in weight, however, or trying to set a PB, I go back to a more traditional set-rest-set pattern.

My transition to primal was rough. Although my workouts themselves didn't suffer (this is pre-barbell set, so I was doing all bodyweight and metcon), my energy levels throughout the day were shot. I kept up the activity on sheer will. Back then, I was eating 100-150g carbs per day -- and that was hard to figure out how to do, for a 3 year near-vegan!

When I finally transitioned to fat-burning and made the mental adjustment to primal (and bought my barbell set), I found it quite easy to eat at 65g/day. I did that for a couple months and did well, but it caught up with me. So, I bumped up to 85g/day pretty recently and have found that pretty managable. On really active farm + workout days, I might go as high as 100g. I do this by adding some fruit, but mostly through adding primal starches like sweet potato and butternut squash (keeping that fructose down!)

I think it probably helps that I make no effort to calorie-restrict. I maintain at about 16% BF while eating a LOT of food for my size (about 2200 cals on average.)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid