Thread: I think it's time for more carbs.. page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

I think it's time for more carbs..

Primal Fuel
    When I started the primal blueprint way of life, looking at the carb graphs I probably aimed for the more extreme target with carbs 80% of the time ranging between 50 grams to 100grams per day.

Generally speaking, I find myself with alot of sedentry time and rest time and so I find it easy to do physical exercise twice a day (morning and arvo. usually high intensity weights).

While i've gained significant lean muscle mass and dropped 16kg since Febuarary, I'm haaning a hard time shedding probably the last 10kg of overall body fat and think this could be due to my low carb intake and not getting enough glycogen to my muscles.

So at a quick look, me weighing at around 100kg, i currently aim for

protein - 200gram
    fat - 100 gram
    carb - 50 gram

any suggestions as to what I Should be aiming for with carbs given that 2 hours exercise a day isnt uncommon?

Thanks

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to say what you should aim for. I would just throw in a sweet potato/regular potato in at some meals, eat more vegetables, more fruit, and perhaps a little less fat if you're getting most of your calories from it. I don't think you need to go overboard with it, really. Have some fruit in the morning, after your exercise, have a bowl of rice, etc. Monitor your energy levels and your weight goals for a couple weeks and adjust from there.

Only way to know what works for you is to experiment and record your numbers
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Up it slowly and see...everyone seems to report responding differently.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    You eat too much proteins and not energy (fats or carbs) I think you don't eat enough kcal too. When I try to "survive on mostly proteins", I don't lean out.

Oh and as far as carbs go, you could try a weekly (or even more frequent) carbs refeed, around 300 g of mostly starch with adequate protein and minimal fat. It really helps.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I really don't think any if us can be of help here since bodies respond different. You kinda have to experiment with this until you find what works for you b
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Leangains has worked for me and many others in here. It makes the caloric deficit much more manageable, and cycles carbs based on training days on non-training days.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    You eat too much proteins and not energy (fats or carbs) I think you don't eat enough kcal too. When I try to "survive on mostly proteins", I don't lean out.

Oh and as far as carbs go, you could try a weekly (or even more frequent) carbs refeed, around 300 g of mostly starch with adequate protein and minimal fat. It really helps.
    Daydreamer is right.
    1)You are not eating enough food for a young healthy person your size.
    2)You are not eating a high enough proportion of this as fat. Instead you are relying on the protein.

This is why so many people say, "low carb doesn't work for me".

peril is offline Senior Member
    Also HIT twice per day every day may be too much, especially on a calorie deficit. Sounds like chronic stress
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    To be honest, high proteins and somewhat low carbs/low fats (okay, 100g isn't low fat, but still), can do the same damages on the long term that anorexia nervosa does (been there, done that, for different reasons).

When I lost a big amount of weight through severe hypogonadism, I fell into the trap of obsessive disorder, because I had nothing to hang onto, so "control" and fake "challenges" were the only things that could get my suffering mind away from thinking too much. However when you look at my journal and most of the days' calories and macro, it doesn't look like your typical anorexia nervosa sufferer.
    It's very low for a man, but to make myself denying something was wrong with my behavior, I ate. I ate anywhere from 1700 to 2100 kcal most days. (the odd 1400 kcals in between but very few).
    I was afraid on putting on fat and on negative changes in my body comp (which was totally horrible since I was already too skinny and too lean. I had wonderful abs yes. But the pictures that I sometimes find when I wander through my computer files are absolutely disguting and difficult to stand for me now.)
    I was eating very high proteins like 180 to 220 g, around 80 to 100g fats and around 80 to 100 g carbs carbs.
    I lost weight, quickly drastically, and made my awful condition even worse.
    My hypopituitarism became even worse (hypothyroidism = worse, hypogonadism = much worse, fucked up cortisol levels...)

It took quite a while for me to get my head straight.
    Protein dominant diets don't work. No you won't keep/build muscles and loose fat just because you're eating only proteins.
    Even when I was later (much later) put on TRT, I began paleo eating with the same kind of macros. I didn't get any better in terms of PHYSICAL health.

I now eat moderate carbs (low for most people) from vegetables (80 to 100g, I don't mind going up to 150 but I don't force it), somewhat high fats (anywhere from 50 to 60% of my calories) mostly from coconut oil/animal fats/avocados (It generally falls in the 150 to 200 g range) and high protein, because I feel better on it (and that my age, Testosterone Replacement, and my diet, helps with protein synthesis) (like 170 to 180 g), with a carbs refeed every 7 days with minimal fats, high primal carbs.

You certainly don't feel the downside of your macros yet.

But you won't get anywhere with this approach if you ask me.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-01-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

sandokan2112 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah everybody responds differently.
    When i want to really lean out and get that vascular look, i keep fats high and lower the carbs (this works for me)
    I shoot for about 1 gram protein per pound bodyweight / fats around 150-200grams / carbs 50-100grams.
    I always keep protein and fats around the same.. And then i up my carbs to help me bulk up or lower the carbs to lean out.