Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Popcorn? page 2

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Movie theater popcorn is typically popped in coconut oil, probably not very high quality though. I go to the movies so rarely anyway that I allow it as a treat.

Thanks, Lew. is offline Junior Member
    Saw this today: Is Popcorn Paleo? Who Cares! LewRockwell.com Blog

I agree 100% with Karen here.

I'm well within the 80/20 rule, so an occasional popcorn night fits in just fine with my overall plan.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about in the UK, but a few of the major theatre chains in the US now pop their popcorn in coconut oil. I personally don't like it, I like it popped in canola oil...even having seen the disgusting video on how canola oil is made. You could always ask the theatre what kind of oil they use, too.
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I place corn just under gluten in terms of things I avoid. I'll eat it sparingly, when there's not a better choice (say, at a Mexican restaurant where corn tacos are the best option).

My reasons are 1) corn is usually a GMO crop, sprayed to hell with crazy pesticides, 2) it's often fried/cooked in rancid PUFAs, and 3) it's just as abundant (if not more so) in the typical SAD American diet.

If one of the reasons gluten is so bad is due to the fact that it's literally in almost every single food item so we're being inundated with gluten at every meal/snack (in a SAD American diet), then corn has to be equally bad, if not worse, considering HFCS has just about completely replaced sugar in the U.S. (UK might not have this problem). I know corn contains a different protein than gluten, but it's just as ubiquitous in the SAD diet.

That said, I don't think it would be the end of the world to buy some organic, non-GMO corn and pop it at home using either an airpopper or good quality oil.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-07-2012 at 06:29 AM.

Monk is offline Senior Member
    Since I've been primal, a vist to the movies, i got a angus hotdog without the bun and a bottle of water. The concession girl gave me this little odd smile when she said,"here's your hot dog with no bun."

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralBear View Post
    The corn that is GMO (Roundup Ready ) is field corn , the stuff used for animal feed , corn flour , corn meal , corn chips and corn bread .

Pop corn is flint corn . Never heard of any GMO flint corn ??? But the oil most likely that it's pop with would be either soy or conola which would more likely be made from a GMO soy or canola. Canola is sometimes called rapeseed . I don't eat corn but unlike wheat ,barley ,rye and oats , it doesn't have gluten .
    Yeah, my kid is a big fan of popcorn, so I sometimes makes some in coconut oil on the stove (with lots of butter on top), and I looked up whether popcorn was GMO, and the answer was probably not. I'd be happy to see if someone could present some definitive info about this, instead of lumping popcorn together with feed corn or sweet corn. Name not withstanding, we're talking about three different plants here.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a total popcorn addict, but really don't think anywhere in the States is going to provide it popped in anything but PUFAs, for pure convenience and cost reasons. I wouldn't eat it out anywhere.

But I very occasionally -- like, three times I can remember over the last two years -- pop it at home in coconut oil, and slather on the good butter from a local dairy, with sea salt. Heavenly.

I have to say I'm not too worried about GMO stuff but YMMV.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Kata is offline Senior Member
    I remember hearing somewhere that all movie theaters used to use coconut oil, until the CSPA made them switch to trans fats, and then to PUFA.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I have it as a treat and buy amish country non-gmo popcorn and pop it in coconut oil.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Movie theater popcorn is typically popped in coconut oil, probably not very high quality though. I go to the movies so rarely anyway that I allow it as a treat.
    It is not popped in coconut oil anymore... used to be years and years ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast