Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What the Hell is With People and Conveniece Foods? page

Wildrose is offline Senior Member

What the Hell is With People and Conveniece Foods?

Primal Fuel
    Seriously, this is starting to bug me.

Just yesterday I went to CostCo to pick up some frozen berries and also a thing of tinned oysters. On the way, I walked past all kinds of cooking stations. One was for these almond roca bars, which looked horrible in an excruciatingly delicious way. Fortunately she was just starting a new batch so I couldn't have any. One station was for pizza, another for rice (?) and the last was for breakfast hash.

It was the breakfast hash that got to me. It's eggs, sausage and hash browns that you pop in an oven. How is this saving any time at all? Seriously, cut up a sausage and put it in the pan, add a few eggs and leftover potatoes from last night and voila! Hash! Put in spices for flavor! Why would anyone buy pre-packaged, chemicalled breakfast hash? I wouldn't have bought that even before I was Primal.

Truly, I am baffled.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    BECAUSE IT WOULD BE TOO MUCH LIKE WORK!

People are lazy when it comes to cooking and everyone wants instant gratification.
    Health is Wealth!

Misti is offline Member
    I think it comes down to the fact that my grandmothers generation was the last one before cooking came to be a "hobby" rather than a life skill. Most of the young folk I meet today are either proudly useless in the kitchen or really devoted hobby cooks. I don't meet the kind of cooks my grandmother was -- Grandma knew how to cook and she cooked because her familt liked to eat. She and her friends did it without any great enthusiasm, maybe, but they did it. Today, I find "homemade" recipes that call for baking mixes, packets, and tins. My own mother, when she found out that I ground my own flour away back in the day, asked me with a straight face what ingredients you use to make flour. People start with the assumption that home cooking is hard because that's the bill of goods they've been sold by advertisers for generations now.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't really get it either. Then again, I've never been a working parent with children. Maybe there aren't enough hours in the day.

Still and all, the hash thing sounds particularly yucky because of the prepackaged eggs.

One of the videos that was posted in another section of this forum stated that this is the first generation of kids where the majority have no household chores. I'm guessing that we have a couple of generations of fewer and fewer people learning how to cook simply and healthfully.

When you look at marketing, except for a few generic ads (pork, the other white meat; beef, it's what's for dinner; the incredible edible egg; etc.), we're slammed with ads for specific foods of convenience - 10% pure fruit juice, healthy chocolate cereals, those microwave steam bags with veggies and gross sauces - the list goes on and on. People who grew up on this kind of advertising may really not know any better.

IMO, the best thing a novice cook or person just away from their parents can do is to not buy a microwave. If you have to use your stove and oven, you pretty much have to learn to cook. Simple can be healthy. Prepackaged, especially once you get used to clean whole foods, tastes like the crap it is.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people don't know how to cook. Especially if their moms were lured into convenience foods. Even before I discovered primal I always cooked dinner for my family. We always sat together and ate at the same time. Years ago when my daughter was in middle school she was at a friend's house around meal time. Both parents worked long hours. The kitchen and dining room tables had papers and things piled on them. The family members just put something frozen in the microwave whenever they got hungry and ate it wherever in the house they felt like, and that was dinner. Even at my daughter's young age she thought that was weird.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Spiralicious is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people don't know how to cook.
    This. My parents were decent cooks, but taught me little - I assume because of a lack of interest on my part. When I left home, I had no clue how to cook, and gradually had to teach myself. I consider myself an excellent cook now, but when I was 18, 19, even 20, I probably would have bought that sausage hash (if I hadn't been so poor - we lived off of ramen and instant mashed potatoes) because I had no idea how easy it is to make yourself.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    It's more of a culture thing.
    Not price: People here think NOTHING of buying a 3 sandwich and a 1 soda for lunch.
    Not convenience: ANYONE can throw food into a tupper.

They don't understand HOW bad it is for them. But they usually don't care anyway.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I really like to cook. I grew up eating healthy meals made from scratch and most of the ingredients were home grown/produced.
    I don't like the cleaning and dish, pot and pan washing that is part of the whole cooking process, but i do it anyway. LoL

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    In hindsight, I realize how fortunate I was growing up with a stay at home mom for MOST of my childhood. We never ate fast food and we never went to restaurants. My parents loved cooking and food and I was always in the kitchen helping my parents cook. I was raised a 'slow cooker' and continued those traditions in my own home, while raising four of my own children. My eldest son, just graduated as a chef. Food always was important in our home. On the other side of the coin, life is complicated and there are many 'latch key kids' whose parents work and are not home to cook. Kids are hungry and parents don't want their kids turning on the stove, which leads to 'quick frozen foods' that can go into the microwave. Our busy lives have created a negative cycle in our home lives and our health in this nation is deteriorating. We are paying the price for a life of convenience. When I was raising my own children and working full time, I couldn't afford to buy fast foods or pre-made foods. It's much cheaper to feed a growing family with vegetables, a small piece of meat, and some side dishes --- I really made the pennies stretch. I believe that a lot of posters here have nailed it when they say, "people just don't know how to cook". When we as humans, don't know how to feed and nourish ourselves, we are going to end up in a scary place. Must run now ---- putting a nice little chicken into the oven with some roasted veggies --- this should feed my husband and myself for the next two days. Happy Halloween everyone! /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I was a latch key kid and my Mom would prepare some snack foods for us like wings or hotdogs or something like that. I know it wasn't the best but they didn't have too many frozen dinners other then the "TV" dinners which were gross!!!!...We just all knew how to cook.
    Health is Wealth!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast