Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What the Hell is With People and Conveniece Foods? page 2

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    My (single parent) mom worked but still taught me how to cook. I had to babysit younger brothers until she was done working (around 7pm), and part of that was getting dinner started.

I taught my kids how to cook, too. When they were old enough to safely learn, I worked full time and went to school full time, and I still was able to teach my kids how to cook. We very seldom ate out, and when we did it was a special occasion at a nice restaurant. Fast food happened, maybe, once a month.

I think part of it is modeling. I learned from my mom, and I did the same with my kids. We now email primal recipes to each other all the time!

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I saw these in my local corner shop the other day and just shook my head. How hard is it to microwave a potato! Why does it need to be in a packet?

McCain unveils microwaveable jacket potato

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silky View Post
    I saw these in my local corner shop the other day and just shook my head. How hard is it to microwave a potato! Why does it need to be in a packet?

McCain unveils microwaveable jacket potato
    Amen to that! I microwave my baked sweet taters sometimes. No need for it to be messed with... ):<

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I was raised in a very large family and my Belgian mom was very proud of her cooking. Cooking for 11 mouths my mom didn't have time to teach us how to cook but we all developed discerning palettes which later lead us to learn to cook (in my case professionally) on our own.

I keep showing my 14 yr old son different cooking techniques and so far he politely watches but hasn't tried his hand at anything. He is educating his palette and he's very discerning so I tell him eventually he will have to learn to cook because he is never going to be satisfied with ready made foods. He can't stand fast food; the only pizza he's ever eaten has been home made, he thinks the store bought is gross.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    My mom wouldn't let us kids cook. She only made us do dishes. We did learn how to bake, however. I've always cooked for myself at least a little bit. I kinda got a little too into convenience foods when Trader Joe's came to town, but I've stopped doing that. The one thing I never knew how to do, however, was cook meat. I'm finally learning that now.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that the lack of knowledge is the main thing.

When I lived in america, I was mildly astonished at my friends makign a big deal out of making strawberry mousse (basically, a strawberry instant pudding, with mashed strawberries and whipped cream folded through). Until I saw them get really excited to bake a cake, by.... taking cake mix, adding water, and putting it in the oven.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

ReclaimtheApex is offline Junior Member
    If you don't cook, you don't eat. Imagine a world where responsibility actually applied.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I can't remember the actual numbers, but studies show that time spent preparing meals directly correlates with obesity rates. Average household spends less than 30 minutes a day preparing meals vs an hour in the 1950s. The hey-day of Julia Child. Not cooking is a reliable predictor of obesity. Freedom from the kitchen comes as a mixed blessing.

With all the Food Network shows, I hope that trend is changing. I easily spend an hour or more making dinner on most days. I grew up with a stay at home mom who is a wonderful cook. Her plates were always intentionally colorful and strictly homemade. Every Sunday we went out to eat, however. It was her day off. Nobody liked my dad's cooking (claim to fame was 'pee in a cup': bologna fried turns cup-like and he put peas in it. Doctor humor). I am blessed to have the time to make meals for my family, and more blessed that I enjoy it!

Who cooks with a microwave?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    not knowing how to cook, not knowing any better, not having much time to spend preparing meals, not having the patience it takes to cook a meal from scratch and, last but not least, not liking to cook

myself, i cook now out of necessity, but i don't have the patience and i rarely enjoy the time consuming process of peeling and chopping and julienning and waiting and waiting and waiting

maybe i'd do better if i cooked several days' worth at once, but i'm just not that kind of patient

what can i say, i'm 'special'

The I Hate to Cook Book: 50th Anniversary Edition: Peg Bracken, Jo Bracken: Amazon.com: Books
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband and I both cook. We do keep instapizzas on hand for those days we're too beat to think and there aren't any leftovers, but those are few and far between.
    I grew up in a house where there was Chef Boyardee and ramen, but there was also homemade spag sauce and pad thai. We kids cut our cooking teeth on eggs, chef boyardee, and ramen. We were also roped into helping with dinner as soon as we could reach the counter by standing on a chair (peeling garlic, taking the compost out, peeling veggies) and progressed up the cooking scale that way. 2 of the 3 of us can cook and like to cook. (The third, I don't know. We haven't spoken in well over a decade.) My sister flipped when she discovered a friend didn't know how to boil water in a pan, and proceeded to teach all her friends basic cooking skills. I refused to date a guy unless he could cook a meal and would let me into his kitchen.
    We were latchkey kids, but we'd also had it beaten into us not to eat until dinner, so the idea of an after school snack was laughable to us. If it looked like Mom and Dad were gonna be late, we put pasta on to boil for dinner. We knew how to pick veggies and meat.
    I knew kids who were the exact opposite: could only cook in a microwave, never had a home cooked dinner (they sneered when I took leftover spag for lunch), and could n't tell you the business end of a peeler (I wish I was exaggerating.) They had stay at home parents and a spotless home with take and bake meals.
    We were latchkey kids after I was old enough to babysit, the house was a disaster, but 90% of the time, dinner was homemade, usually from scratch.
    I've never understood the uberconvenience meals. Shit like the plastic wrapped nuketato, the prechopped veggies, the lunchable? I never got it, never understood it. It can't be that hard, and it doesn't take that much time to prep it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast