Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unflavored gelatin page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Unflavored gelatin

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I take 1 Tbl of beef unflavored gelatin in water twice a day. Exactly what I take is NOW Foods Beef Gelatin Natural Powder. I buy it through Amazon. I've lost 109 lbs eating primal and now I have huge issues with loose skin. I still have a little weight to lose and I don't want the gelatin to interfer with that, (I really don't see any problem) Does anyone else feel it could slow the weight loss? I don't think it's customary for insurance companies to pay to correct this problem since they probably consider it cosmetic surgery. I might claim it depresses me (it does) but that's a stretch.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Pure gelatin powder has the same amount of energy as pure sugar = 4 kcal per gram, so two tablespoons gives around 100 - 110 kcal and should be counted into the total energy budget of the day.

Thanks. I tend to be obsessive about things so, in an effort to change, I don't count calories or weigh regularly or even add up carbs. I do keep my carbs low and stick very close to primal eating. I just wondered if there was anything damaging by taking the gelatin. I don't even know what's considered a correct amount for a day.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 11-02-2012 at 02:18 PM.

Nothing damaging to my knowledge - it is all collagen protein, and I eat it daily myself because I make gelatin of the powder mixed with Coke Zero and lime juice when dieting. It may even have a health benefit, because I notice that my joints feel better when taking it. Only remember that it has energy and if you are eating at maintenance and take gelatin powder above that, well two tablespoons per day adds up to a pound of fat in a month or so. True story...

I'm not at maintenance yet, still trying to get rid of the last 15 lbs. I've Googled around and it appears that a 5' 4" woman should weigh about 120 but even that varies according to what webpage your reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Pure gelatin powder has the same amount of energy as pure sugar = 4 kcal per gram, so two tablespoons gives around 100 - 110 kcal and should be counted into the total energy budget of the day.
    Could you tell me where you got your figures? I checked SelfNutrition.com and CalorieLab and their figures say 1 Tbl, 7 grams of unflavored gelatin is 23 to 30 calories.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I found the same thing Miss Rosemary:

Show Foods

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Could you tell me where you got your figures? I checked SelfNutrition.com and CalorieLab and their figures say 1 Tbl, 7 grams of unflavored gelatin is 23 to 30 calories.
    Hmmm, I had to check it with the pure tasteless gelatinpowder that I am using and that comes in units of 7 gram. Two units gives a topped tablespoon, and 14 gram X 4kcal = 56 kcal to each spoonful. That should give 112 kcal for two spoonful of pure gelatinpowder I think...

Edit: Yes, no disagreement, I am used to think and calculate in topped spoonful for all kind of powders = 12 - 15 gram in my calculations...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 10-31-2012 at 04:27 PM.

For InSearchOfAbs . . .Sorry I forgot her quote.

The same thing as what I said or the same as what Gorbag said?
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 11-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Same thing *you* said.

I put a link in there as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast